Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2013, 04:11 PM

Re: Getting Fit and Strong.

Oooooh I'd love to be able to dance!

My wife loves to dance but I've got two left feet - maybe three!

I'd love to try to learn, for her sake really but then it is, as you say, great exercise.

Might give it a go but how I'll get around to actually following the music when I'm deaf I don't know!

Worth a shot.........!!! stevmk2
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2013, 04:13 PM

If you've ever watched Strictly Come Dancing Steve, you'd have seen that the professionals can work wonders with people who feel they can't dance.

Is there a hearing aid that lets you hear vibrations of music? Maybe you could follow that. After a while, the steps would become habit anyway and your wife could discreetly lead you instead of the other way around and then timing would be kept on track
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2013, 04:24 PM

I read you post too Mark and I don't get what you have gotten you undies bunched up.. Seriously.. take a pill..

I appreciate your advise.. I am going to follow it. I figured you would be the best person to ask as you seem to take physical fitness seriously with your running and appear to be in better shape than many of us.

I am fortunate.. I'm pretty healthy, but I can see that won't last if I don't make some changes... It's just HOW does one get the motivation? That's the hard part. Maybe that's what I was asking of you. Just how DOES one get motivated? What motivates us to do things we know are good for us, but not that pleasant. Exercise? Not fun.. TV and snacks are better. lol!!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2013, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->
Oooooh I'd love to be able to dance!

My wife loves to dance but I've got two left feet - maybe three!

I'd love to try to learn, for her sake really but then it is, as you say, great exercise.

Might give it a go but how I'll get around to actually following the music when I'm deaf I don't know!

Worth a shot.........!!! stevmk2
One of my neighbours is deaf she dances uses a light box that marks the beat and lights that go up and down scales so she can follow them. She does it to competition level too !
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2013, 05:24 PM

Well, I've been for my walk and went to one health centre, but they were unable to sign on new members, so I caught a bus to the next one near to me and hey ho, got signed in in no time. Young lad behind the counter asked who it was for, I said me, he said you got ID? Yeah, trying the old flannel of disputing my eligibility! (Oh well, it was a good morale boost momentarily!)

So all systems go for my free swimming, cept it'll probably take a couple of sessions to get my money back on the £6.90. I don't know how much swimming costs these days.

Motivation? Erm, just get up off your backside and do it! I do. Sometimes I feel I can't be bothered but I have to admit I feel better for my little walk/trip out today. Good luck.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2013, 06:16 PM

LOL We all went for a walk this afternoon only draw back is we now have 6 pairs of trousers and boots waiting for the mud to dry to brush off them before they are washed, two dog coats in the same condition and the car looks like it has had a mud bath (inside and out). Still will get more exercise doing the washing and cleaning so double the benefit from one walk

BTW Norbury Park beautiful but knee deep in mud today !
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2013, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by AudreyII ->
I read you post too Mark and I don't get what you have gotten you undies bunched up.. Seriously.. take a pill..

I appreciate your advise.. I am going to follow it. I figured you would be the best person to ask as you seem to take physical fitness seriously with your running and appear to be in better shape than many of us.

I am fortunate.. I'm pretty healthy, but I can see that won't last if I don't make some changes... It's just HOW does one get the motivation? That's the hard part. Maybe that's what I was asking of you. Just how DOES one get motivated? What motivates us to do things we know are good for us, but not that pleasant. Exercise? Not fun.. TV and snacks are better. lol!!
All too easy not to do anything at all and that goes for me too. There just isn't an easy answer to taking exercise. There might come a time when I will happily become a couch potato but I'm pretty sure I won't become a fat one. What I tend to do is reduce my calorie intake to compensate for lack of exercise whilst making sure I get enough fibre, minerals and vitamins etc. I boost my intake when exercising to make sure I have enough energy.

Not doing any form of exercise though will make you weak, sluggish possibly, inflexible probably and various other things so if you consider this then that surely is enough motivation to at least do something.

No-one really needs to do any form of exercise to lead a happy and healthy life. Some people are just lucky and have the genes necessary for practically an illness free existence from cradle to grave but lots don't. It really boils down to what YOU want and should do. You have to find the motivation within you, or join a club and get it from someone else but that rarely works for long. In fact motivation is the wrong thing to look for or to consider if you ask me. What you should consider is a lifestyle change that is more or less permanent. Motivation can wane and is downright fickle.

I tend to look at people's historical lifestyles for inspiration where exercise was an integral part of their existence such as the Japanese Samurai or the like. It pays to keep strong for all sorts of reasons if you are a man in my mind. I can go for a jog and do exercise in less time than it takes to watch an hours TV every other day and that is more than enough to keep me fit.
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2013, 07:25 PM

Good points.. Mark... Historically I have been fit.. and thin. I worked at it with diet and exercise. (walking being my choice). BUT being totally honest.. What motivated me was my appearance.. and the reactions I got from the opposite sex. I enjoyed being whistled at and looked at. NOW.. that is gone. I don't care how thin or fit a 65 year old woman is... we are no longer "eye candy" In fact, I have noticed over the last 10 years.. I have become almost invisible. over looked... not looked over. Shallow as it definately is.. that motivation now missing seems to have been the driving force in my diet and exercise. Not that I'm in anyway planning on acting on anything, it's hard to watch a gentleman's eyes look past you and directly at a 25 year old with a great body. I'm finding it more difficult to care, although I know that my health and the quality of my older years depends on it. Like most women.. we seem to fall into that trap of caring more what others think rather than what is good for us. Perhaps this is more an affliction of women then men, although I suspect more men our age suffer from this than care to admit. Does this make sense?
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2013, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by AudreyII ->
Good points.. Mark... Historically I have been fit.. and thin. I worked at it with diet and exercise. (walking being my choice). BUT being totally honest.. What motivated me was my appearance.. and the reactions I got from the opposite sex. I enjoyed being whistled at and looked at. NOW.. that is gone. I don't care how thin or fit a 65 year old woman is... we are no longer "eye candy" In fact, I have noticed over the last 10 years.. I have become almost invisible. over looked... not looked over. Shallow as it definately is.. that motivation now missing seems to have been the driving force in my diet and exercise. Not that I'm in anyway planning on acting on anything, it's hard to watch a gentleman's eyes look past you and directly at a 25 year old with a great body. I'm finding it more difficult to care, although I know that my health and the quality of my older years depends on it. Like most women.. we seem to fall into that trap of caring more what others think rather than what is good for us. Perhaps this is more an affliction of women then men, although I suspect more men our age suffer from this than care to admit. Does this make sense?
Pretty sure it is the same for nearly all men. My motivation is I just dislike being over weight. Over weight equates to far too tight clothing, sore ankles and various other things.

Not all men are solely attracted to younger women either. Attitude can also be attractive and someone that has more or less given up on their appearance has probably other issues with self esteem and so on, emanating negativity towards life in general.

You are probably going through a kind of delayed mid life crisis, one where you need to re-evaluate. You might have a few 'down' years but hopefully you will bounce back after reappraising your options.

At least you are aware of your changing body and looks as there is probably nothing so embarrassing as mutton dressed up as lamb .

I will also re-emphasise this ... not all men are solely attracted to younger women either. I think you would be shocked to know quite a few of my friends like the older women. Older women are often more settled - experienced - with no over-riding material needs; all of these are very attractive to men.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2013, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
Pretty sure it is the same for nearly all men. My motivation is I just dislike being over weight. Over weight equates to far too tight clothing, sore ankles and various other things.

Not all men are solely attracted to younger women either. Attitude can also be attractive and someone that has more or less given up on their appearance has probably other issues with self esteem and so on, emanating negativity towards life in general.

You are probably going through a kind of delayed mid life crisis, one where you need to re-evaluate. You might have a few 'down' years but hopefully you will bounce back after reappraising your options.

At least you are aware of your changing body and looks as there is probably nothing so embarrassing as mutton dressed up as lamb .

I will also re-emphasise this ... not all men are solely attracted to younger women either. I think you would be shocked to know quite a few of my friends like the older women. Older women are often more settled - experienced - with no over-riding material needs; all of these are very attractive to men.

Quite agree MKJ, a few of my mates got off with FIT old birds who were mortgage free, and kept them in the style they strived to become accustomed to, lucky sods.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top