Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2014, 12:16 PM

Getting stronger

Now that I have packed in road running I'm looking at other ways to keep fit. I intend to use a running machine every other day for 10 mins, box on a bag for 5 mins and do strengthening exercises. I have also forked out for banana flavoured whey protein as I haven't eaten meat or fish for quite a while.

Quite surprised how much stronger I am in just a short space of time. I'm carrying out some muscle building and strengthening exercises using household furniture only, along with utilising my body weight to provide the necessary resistance. These exercises consist of press-ups between chairs with my legs raised and so on. Dunno if it is the whey but I was a lot stronger today I notice. Very interesting it is too. I fancy some upper body strength now as opposed to being a skinny runner.

My exercises are these ...

20 chair dips - full press-ups with legs up on a chair / armchair
22 turn around dips - facing feet
20 chair dips
22 turn around dips

50 chair raises - heavy chair in each hand and you raise them to shoulder level
50 shoulder press-ups - press-ups with arched back
50 chair raises
50 shoulder press-ups

50 sit-ups
50 leg-ups
50 sit-ups
50 leg-ups

100 bicep curls using a broom under the knee
25 triceps press-ups - press-ups with fingers turned towards each hand
100 bicep curls
25 triceps press-ups

Takes about 10 mins. Reason I'm doing 2x of everything is to build muscle. If I really wanted to build muscle fast I would do 3 of everything.

The above is done on one day and leg exercises are done on the next ...

120 short squats with heel on a book
100 calve raises on a book
120 short squats
100 calve raises

Interesting to see an improvement so quickly. The whey is no doubt helping my body build new muscle.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2014, 01:53 PM

Re: Getting stronger

Well ... that has worn me out just reading it! Well done, MJK !
Linden Tree
Derbyshire, UK
Linden Tree is female  Linden Tree has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2014, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Well ... that has worn me out just reading it! Well done, MJK !
I was thinking exactly the same thing! It's good to have a goal though, and I'm sure you'll get lots of encouragement from everyone here.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2014, 04:07 PM

You do realize Mark all your fans along your normal route will be missing you!
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2014, 06:20 PM

Good for you MKJ!

I don't do any set exercise because my job keeps me in trim.

In the 2 years & 8 months I've been working as a Maintenance / Gardening "operative" I've lost 17 pounds in weight, I have a 34" waist again, (last time was 31 years ago!), my upper-body strength is almost as good as when I was doing weight training & swimming regularly, (finally stopped 15 years ago), and my stamina is probably as high as someone 20 years younger.

Most of the above is due to Gardening so I'd recommend it to anyone!! stevmk2
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2014, 07:57 PM

Good for Mark & Steve! The last time I lost weight without actually trying was when I met my husband. I was nervous a lot & when we went out for dinner, I couldn't eat much plus we went walking a lot as we didn't have a car. Before him, I was going to aerobics classes, riding a bike around but not much was happening, in fact after aerobics classes I was so hungry I just wanted to eat!

Maybe anyone wanting to lose weight should just meet someone new every few months or so
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2014, 12:01 AM

Mark lost me at 20 chair dips! Torturous!!!!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2014, 05:42 AM

As Gough Whitlam said, "I get all the exercise I need attending the funerals of those that do exercise"
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2014, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
As Gough Whitlam said, "I get all the exercise I need attending the funerals of those that do exercise"

Errrm - Bruce matey - what's exercise??? - don't do none of that!!!I get puffed out just rising from my chair now and then.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2014, 09:26 AM

Hard work to raise my mug of coffee this morning.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top