Join for free
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2014, 08:05 AM

Cross Trainers

Does anyone have any experience of the various types of cross trainers? I'm thinking of buying one - cost is less than a one year membership to my local gym. So far I've discovered that elliptical cross trainers are fairly space efficient and provide excellent low impact exercise. A trainer with a seat provides variety too.
I'd welcome any advice or opinions.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2014, 09:47 AM

Re: Cross Trainers

Hi Lindyloo sorry I can't help you but everyone I know who purchase fitness equipment rarely used it if at all.

I know they had the best of intentions but I guess if the equipment is at home people lack the motivation and support a gym provides.
Not that I would ever join one three walks a day and gardening/housework are I think the best exercise for me and don't cost me anything.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2014, 01:24 PM

I don't know what a cross trainer is but Meg is absolutely right. If you want to buy equipment get a bike and go for rides.

The thing about stationary equipment is that they are the nearest man has got to inventing a time machine - time spent on them seems to be ten times longer than time spend anywhere else, even light slows down to a syrupy trickle. Whereas a bike ride seems to make time fly past with the scenery.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2014, 04:14 PM

I prefer to take my exercise in the countryside rather than in a gym.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2014, 06:53 PM

I agree with you all. I live in a beautiful area which is unfortunately very hilly. Most days I walk down to the beach and back - at least 1.5 hours at a fast walking pace. The hills and my propensity for accidents prevent me from cycling. A while ago I found somewhere to leave my bike on the esplanade from where I can cycle on the flat alongside the beach for quite a distance, but the sea breeze makes it pretty hard work - followed by a steep hill to walk up to get back home.
I appreciate everything said about the lack of incentive to use exercise machines, but that's very negative - surely better to have tried and failed than never tried at all.
The cross trainers I'm looking at are low impact, so not as difficult as cycling and that's essential because of a knee injury after an accident some years ago. I'm also not fond of walking in the rain or freezing cold, and I hate gyms - so it seems to tick all the boxes for my requirements. So if anyone has any practical advice on which cross trainer to buy, I'd welcome your opinions.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2014, 10:54 PM

I have no idea which one to buy but I will say this. I belonged to a gym that used this type of equipment and the cross trainer was about the best for me - much better than the bike or rowing machine. I have since joined a 30min workout gym, suits me better but if you have the motivation then go for it.

Can't see how sitting down on one works - the one I used was a stand up, throw your knees outwards type!
Lindyloo
isle of wight

19-06-2014, 07:28 AM

Thanks Cranberry - the cross trainer with a seat is described as a 2 in 1 trainer - so an exercise bike too - offers variety.
Baxter8
Somerset
Baxter8 is female  Baxter8 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2014, 07:34 AM

That actually made me choke with laughter (not dangerously so!). And exactly describes the problem with home gym equipment

The other problem is that gyms can often afford to invest in the state of the art equipment, home equipment has always seemed somewhat tinny compared to the gym.

I quite like them at the gym but not sure I'd buy one myself, I agree that outside biking or wonderful walking are far better activities.

Originally Posted by Bruce ->

The thing about stationary equipment is that they are the nearest man has got to inventing a time machine - time spent on them seems to be ten times longer than time spend anywhere else, even light slows down to a syrupy trickle.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top