Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2015, 05:57 PM

Re: Vertigo

Originally Posted by allottment ->
Many thanks for replies evidently I suffer two types of vertigo the benign positional and vestibular neuropathy all due to inner ear trouble plus I have not good eyesight macular degeneration drs say my brain is trying to do two things at once balence and see. I have had eplay and do exercises every day. Oh dear I am having a moan sorry .
You are entitled to moan - its an awful condition ......
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2015, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Suzuki Sue ->
My ex-husband had Meniere's disease which was a type of Vertigo. He had fluid in his middle ear and went dizzy and felt nauseous. I remember the first time this happened he had an involuntry rapid eye movement and said his head was spinning and had very bad migraines through this. He had to take tablets and visit the hospital and have cold water tests in his ears.
The attacks came on about 3 or 4 times a year.

Hope this helps in any way Allottment
My Dad had Meniere's disease too which caused him to experience attacks of Vertigo.
I was about 12 at the time and can remember it still. He used to go for a short walk and would found clinging to a wall unable to move, it must be a horrible thing to have .
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2015, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
My Dad had Meniere's disease too which caused him to experience attacks of Vertigo.
I was about 12 at the time and can remember it still. He used to go for a short walk and would found clinging to a wall unable to move, it must be a horrible thing to have .

It is Meg - you have to hold onto something otherwise you will fall .........very frightening too
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2015, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by allottment ->
Many thanks for replies evidently I suffer two types of vertigo the benign positional and vestibular neuropathy all due to inner ear trouble plus I have not good eyesight macular degeneration drs say my brain is trying to do two things at once balence and see. I have had eplay and do exercises every day. Oh dear I am having a moan sorry .
Oh dear.....not nice at all.....all the best to you.
Myth and Magic
UK
Myth and Magic is female  Myth and Magic has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2015, 03:53 PM

Try having an inhalation in the morning - good for sinus trouble - Meniere's and good for the complexion. No need to put anything in the water just steam from the hot water -if plain water gets boring add some herbs or Lavender - may not cure but it cannot harm either and good for 10 minutes relaxation.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2015, 04:14 PM

I'm a strange one I've been told because I have had attacks of Vertigo in the past yet I've been up in choppers, (helicopters), going offshore in the early 70s in craft that were at best, 2nd hand and adapted for the purposes that Bristows Helicopters used them for - to land on rigs, accommodation platforms, wellheads and even derrick barge helidecks in all weathers.

If you have seen the BBC's continuity VT with an helicopter landing on a minute helideck, THAT'S a wellhead helideck, and if they're there to pick you up you hang onto the netting at the edges as the chopper comes in - I kid you not!!

All the times I ever went up in a chopper I never had a problem with vertigo at all, even when I came down in one yet I was on a jack-up drill barge offshore and we had to climb the legs to check wall thickness before a relocation - and I froze at about 240 feet up one day.

I could not move at all and all I could do was hug the stanchion and pray.

The Jack-up Foreman climbed up the leg on the outside, (no ropes, hand-holds - nothing!) and got me to climb down with him on the outside of the stanchion.

THAT I managed and the very next day I was up the next one no problemo!! stevmk2
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

22-02-2015, 04:16 PM

@Steve - there's no mistaking vertigo - can hit ya anytime, anywhere
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2015, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
@Steve - there's no mistaking vertigo - can hit ya anytime, anywhere
I know Patsy.

Two of us were stuck 110 metres up a gas installation in Rotterdam in 1976 - we both froze.

The Rotterdam Fire Brigade got called out - very embarrassing but neither Hughie or me thought anything about it 'til we got on the catwalk at the top - and froze.

Another bloke I knew years ago used to burst into tears then freeze - at any height above 20 metres - Truly weird. stevmk2
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

22-02-2015, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->
I know Patsy.

Two of us were stuck 110 metres up a gas installation in Rotterdam in 1976 - we both froze.

The Rotterdam Fire Brigade got called out - very embarrassing but neither Hughie or me thought anything about it 'til we got on the catwalk at the top - and froze.

Another bloke I knew years ago used to burst into tears then freeze - at any height above 20 metres - Truly weird. stevmk2
Steve - it has nothing to do with heights
All of a sudden you feel nauseous and then the room spins at such a rate you cannot stand ...... You have to keep your eyes closed - its horrendous !
stevmk2
Milton Keynes

22-02-2015, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
Steve - it has nothing to do with heights
All of a sudden you feel nauseous and then the room spins at such a rate you cannot stand ...... You have to keep your eyes closed - its horrendous !
Sorry perhaps I'm getting a tad mixed up with Acrophobia Patsy...............

The definition I read said: -

"a sensation of whirling and loss of balance, associated particularly with looking down from a great height, or caused by disease affecting the inner ear or the vestibular nerve; giddiness".

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top