Join for free
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2009, 09:00 PM

my elderly parents

I think I'm okay posting in this thread. I'll give it a go anyway and someone tell me if it's not the right thing to put in this thread.

Isn't it hard when your parents get old. Both my parents are 89 this year and my poor old Dad can't walk or stand, he has carers in 4 times a day but even so he's quite lucky as he's got family all around him and we are all very supporting towards him. I go up as much as I can to help them, I only live about 10mins car drive from them, one of my brothers lives opposite them, and my other brother lives about 20 mins car journey away. I go up every Thursday morning as Mum has her hair done at the hairdressers and is gone about 90 minutes. Dad is very young at heart and he is very lucky as he has still got all his marbels (if you know what I mean). Mum's not too bad but she has got part heart failure and her legs aren't too good with arthritus, she's also on the ball. Anytime they need help they know they only have to ring one of their children and help is there straight away.
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2009, 09:10 PM

Re: my elderly parents

It`s great that the family is pulling together and still in touch. The elders I feel sorry for are the ones who are alone. It must mean a lot to them, being able to stay in their own home.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2009, 09:49 PM

I wish my parents had lived long enough for me to have that concern. Mom died when I was 25 and Dad when I was 34.

I hope I can stay in my home as long as possible; dread the idea of a retirement home.
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2009, 04:20 PM

It's a shame you're parents died young dandysmom, I'm lucky having mine still alive.

I wouldn't mind being in a warden assisted place but not a nursing home.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2009, 12:09 AM

It's nice they have you Alicat and good you live so close.

It's the one thing that puts me off moving abroad - family and parents are all here.
angieh
Hampshire, UK
angieh is female  angieh has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2009, 02:31 PM

Your parents are lucky Alicat - to have caring children, and to still be able to live in their own home and have those marbles!
amandah
New Member!
Godalming, Surrey Uk
amandah is female 

12-12-2009, 03:31 PM

I have the uttmost respect for carers, as one my self. I think these Hospitals have no idea about care properly out there or what its like.My Husband Hugh, is Disabled and he has been in Hospital himsewith stomach ulcers, some while ago. The wretched Hospital sent my hubby home. The next day he had to go back in for a blood test ! I used to also care for my late Father. My Mum died many years ago. So now I am a carer full time for my husband, Not an easy job .regards amandah

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top