Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2010, 02:53 PM

Re: Windows 7

I have Windows 7 on my laptop, but still have XP on the desktop PC. I find Windows 7 fine and generally I think most things will work between XP and Win.7. Mind you I am not an expert with computers, but if I can get on with it I would think most folks would.
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2010, 03:20 PM

Same here, my old XP gave up the ghost earlier this year and my new one has Windows 7. It had to sit in its box until my son came round to install it and transfer all my old data and photos. I prefer it, especially when you can hover over explorer and it shows all your open windows.
PPHammer
Yorkshire, UK
PPHammer is male  PPHammer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2010, 08:03 PM

windows 7 is fine as far as windows goes. I prefer Mac (on my desktop) and my other laptop has linux mint (check it out if you want to extend the life of your older kit).

Netbook has XP but I dual boot with linux (ubuntu).

Overall, I would always go with Mac if money is no object. Linux gets the thumbs up cos everything is free. I don't know about software issues as I only use the W7 laptop for surfing or typing stuff up in MS Office (btw - check out open office which is free)
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2010, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by PPHammer ->
windows 7 is fine as far as windows goes. I prefer Mac (on my desktop) and my other laptop has linux mint (check it out if you want to extend the life of your older kit).

Netbook has XP but I dual boot with linux (ubuntu).

Overall, I would always go with Mac if money is no object. Linux gets the thumbs up cos everything is free. I don't know about software issues as I only use the W7 laptop for surfing or typing stuff up in MS Office (btw - check out open office which is free)
I think you mentioned Open Offfice before PP Hammer, and I looked at it but didn't download it in case it had a virus or something nasty - I couldn't understand why it was free - am I too suspicious
PPHammer
Yorkshire, UK
PPHammer is male  PPHammer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2010, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
I think you mentioned Open Offfice before PP Hammer, and I looked at it but didn't download it in case it had a virus or something nasty - I couldn't understand why it was free - am I too suspicious
It is open source software - you can trust it. But google open source software for an explanation first to reassure you. It is safe. Promise. It is an excellent MS office alternative - and free.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK

06-10-2010, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by PPHammer ->
It is open source software - you can trust it. But google open source software for an explanation first to reassure you. It is safe. Promise. It is an excellent MS office alternative - and free.
Thank you PPHammer, I only have Works on my laptop so it will be useful to have
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2010, 10:56 PM

laptop has linux mint (check it out if you want to extend the life of your older kit).

PPH, would that work on an older Mac? Mine is OSX 10.2.8
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2010, 11:30 AM

I have three computers, a desktop, a laptop & a netbook. I recently converted my desktop to the full version of Windows 7, meaning it's not an upgrade. I had to wipe out my hard drive in order to pull this off. It required me to load all my software again from scratch. It was worth it as I now have a lightning fast machine again running a 64 bit version of Windows 7.

My laptop has the upgrade 32 bit version of Windows 7 and my netbook still has its original Windows XP. I basically use the netbook for internet duties in my bathroom so XP is good enough.

I have three computers in an 182 sq st apartment. It's a luxury!
Expresso1
New Member!
UK
Expresso1 is female 

08-10-2010, 07:47 AM

It is the best OS they have produced up to now.
It is easy to use and full of new ideas.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top