Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
moetmum
Hampshire
moetmum is female  moetmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2010, 11:23 AM

Re: Ladybirds

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
I always have thought ladybirds are good to have in the garden and we still have a few around on the plants, particularly the roses (eating the aphids I suppose), but we have had nothing like a swarm. Did you know that ladybirds can bite or nip ?
They are good for the garden but not good for our native species of ladybirds.

I know some of them can bite but haven't ever actually been bitten.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2010, 04:36 PM

I don't think I've seen any ladybirds at all this year ..... very strange that
FayRose
Devon, UK
FayRose is female  FayRose has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2010, 05:54 PM

Cor cripes, send them down this way. They are great, if in quantities you are seeing for getting rid of black/green fly which destroys all our hard earned veg garden contents!

I've only seen a few feeble specimens this year. Mind you, make sure they are the good ones and not the nasty foreign invaders that eat ours - bit like the African bees
moetmum
Hampshire
moetmum is female  moetmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2010, 07:40 PM

We had a lady in the centre this afternoon buying a book on insects, there was a ladybird on the cover, I mentioned our strange afternoon the day before and she had the same experience, not for the first time either! It is so bad she is having her house fumigated.

I asked her where she lives and it would take me 3/4 hour to drive to her area, so quite a long way from us. We must have all the ladybirds here in Hampshire!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2010, 12:01 AM

Another insect I haven't seen for years is the earwig ....... there used to be loads of them around years ago, especially in dahlias. I wonder which part of the country they have disappeared to!
sully
uk
sully is female  sully has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2010, 12:45 AM

Ive had a couple ladybirds sunbathing on my back door step twice this year, and also had a couple earwigs.........Does anyone remember all the ladybirds in 1976,phew!!!!!!!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK

10-10-2010, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by sully ->
Ive had a couple ladybirds sunbathing on my back door step twice this year, and also had a couple earwigs.........Does anyone remember all the ladybirds in 1976,phew!!!!!!!
I remember 1976 was the year of the heatwave and drought, temperatures reached the mid to upper 90s ..... I wonder if that had anything to do with the swarms of ladybirds. I remember being covered in them when walking down the road, they got tangled in your hair and you had to keep your mouth closed or you were in for a feast!
Dancingsky
None
Dancingsky is female  Dancingsky has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2010, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
I remember 1976 was the year of the heatwave and drought, temperatures reached the mid to upper 90s ..... I wonder if that had anything to do with the swarms of ladybirds. I remember being covered in them when walking down the road, they got tangled in your hair and you had to keep your mouth closed or you were in for a feast!
I remember 1976 well too, it was the year our youngest daughter was born. I don't recall ladybirds but the heatwave was rather overwhelming!
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2010, 01:57 AM

I couldn't resist posting this. Last Autumn one had come in the house and was sauntering along the magazine, closely watched by Leia. She doesn't "do" anything smaller than mice, but kept watch on the ladybug till I put it outside.

[IMG]
[/IMG]
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2010, 08:31 PM

The lovely Leia is very focussed there Dandysmom...

I can remember 1976 when the ladybirds and also black flies swarmed here...only did it once but everything and everybody were covered in them! It was also the year that I had my long hair cut short because of the heat....spare of the moment decision!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top