Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Dancingsky
None
Dancingsky is female  Dancingsky has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2010, 03:36 PM

My husband had to ask my fathers permission to marry me (Split thread)

My husband had to ask my father's permission to marry me as I was under 21. His reply was something like, "Yes please", as he had 4 daughters to get off his hands.

Just before our wedding day my husband to be and father had to go to the Royal Court to sign a paper officially handing me over, my presence wasn't required, how feudal!
buttercup
Wiltshire
buttercup is female  buttercup has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2010, 04:48 PM

Re: My husband had to ask my fathers permission to marry me (Split thread)

Originally Posted by Dancingsky ->
My husband had to ask my father's permission to marry me as I was under 21. His reply was something like, "Yes please", as he had 4 daughters to get off his hands.

Just before our wedding day my husband to be and father had to go to the Royal Court to sign a paper officially handing me over, my presence wasn't required, how feudal!
Oh my goodness that's awful. Can you imagine that today?
Like the new name but I also liked Qetta - sounded very dutch.
Dancingsky
None
Dancingsky is female  Dancingsky has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2010, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by buttercup ->
Oh my goodness that's awful. Can you imagine that today?
Like the new name but I also liked Qetta - sounded very dutch.
It didn't bother me at the time, because that is how it was! I am not sure if you still have to go to court if the child is under age. I must enquire.

If my father had died when I was young all his property and money would have passed to his nearest male relative as he had no sons! That law was changed so daughters could inherit. Even today the law is a bit 'quaint'. When our father died the estate was divided up in equal shares between our mother, my siblings and myself. Basically mother has the dosh, but only in trust, she can't do as she likes with it, and we have the property of which mother has life enjoyment. As for jewellery and valuables which my father owned, the custom is that the youngest child makes up the lots, each of relatively the same value, and the eldest, in this case myself, had the first pick! What fun!

I am glad you like my new name.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2010, 10:09 PM

We have come a long way, baby! The vestiges of the patriarchy are eroding, thank God! Daughters as property to be given away!!! Absolutely medieval ......
Dancingsky
None

09-10-2010, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
We have come a long way, baby! The vestiges of the patriarchy are eroding, thank God! Daughters as property to be given away!!! Absolutely medieval ......
Very Medieval. My father's family expected my mother to go on producing kids until they had a son, but she reckoned the 13th would be a boy and stopped producing when she had 4 girls.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2010, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Dancingsky ->
Very Medieval. My father's family expected my mother to go on producing kids until they had a son, but she reckoned the 13th would be a boy and stopped producing when she had 4 girls.
Do you think they were disappointed Dancingsky
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2010, 09:49 PM

I'm inclined to think men feel the need of a son to carry on the family name. In my teens I overheard my parents having a quarrel and Dad made a remark about the son he never had (only child). That really upset me then. And a friend whose son is gay and whose daughter has 2 little boys was lamenting to me that they would not bear the family name ....
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2010, 10:30 PM

Split into a new thread guys as it makes for an interesting discussion
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2010, 10:32 PM

My only Son is eight years married and as yet childless, I know it worries him and I hope God is good to them, if not, as long as they are happy, to hell with the Family name.
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2010, 10:44 PM

My father in law was disappointed when his son married me as I was 45 years old when we got married and I never wanted children and hubby's father wanted a son to carry on the family name! I felt like saying to him "Tough matey, you can't have any"!

The other funny thing was that when we were going to get married hubby said "should I ask your father if I can marry you", which he did. It was sooooo funny, Dad just said "what about me" as Dad was hoping I would stay single and help him out doing errands for them later on when he was elderly! Which I do anyway now for him and Mum ten years on.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top