Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2010, 04:16 PM

Re: My husband had to ask my fathers permission to marry me (Split thread)

Good for her, Dancingsky! You must be very proud of her.
Dancingsky
None
Dancingsky is female  Dancingsky has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2010, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
Good for her, Dancingsky! You must be very proud of her.
Very although I am an agnostic and my husband is an atheist.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2010, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Dancingsky ->
Very although I am an agnostic and my husband is an atheist.
Was it David Beckham who said "I used to be an atheist until I realized I was God".
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2010, 06:55 PM

I suppose I must have come from an enlightened environment - my dad never led us to believe he would have preferred a boy instead of the two girls he had. At various times we both were tomboys anyway and my sister went to football matches with him. He was a very supportive father to us and a real friend and advisor once we were grown up. The family name died out with him (he was the only boy with four sisters) but I don't think it was of any relevance to him. He also said that we could do whatever we wanted to do for a career and always encouraged us (even though he did a bit of steering). I loved him dearly and couldn't have wanted for a better dad. He was just like his own father, both gentle, serious, brave and very intelligent men, who had no need to assert their masculinity. Girls were just the same value as boys to them and we knew it.
Dancingsky
None
Dancingsky is female  Dancingsky has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2010, 07:26 PM

Dad sold the family home in 1984, it was a bit of a shock as none of of realised he intended to do so, not even our mother. She was visiting us in the UK, came home and found they had moved into a bungalow and mother-in-law, whom she couldn't stand, was in the annex! She wasn't a happy bunny that is for sure, but she had no say over the property. It had been in the family for centuries. We are supposed to be direct descendents of Richard the Lionheart's minstrel Blondel. Our house was built on the foundations of his former house apparently.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2010, 07:35 PM

Thats not good Dancing Sky - I would have had something to say about my husband selling my home up without my consent. There would have been a right old row.

We (by this I mean my husband's family) are supposed to be descendents of someone called Truelove who supposedly saved Norman the Conqueror from death during the Battle of Hastings. He subsequenlty changed his name from Truelove to Eyre and was granted estates and land in Derbyshire and Yorkshire. Today all I know of is Eyre's Chapel and The Eyre Arms at Curbar crossroads (which we often frequent )

I have just thought - this is my husband's side not mine - we were more than likely jewish wandering gypsies [/I]The following is supposedly true

"In Thorpe's catalogue of the deeds of Battle Abbey we find the following: "Ayres or Eyre. The first of this family was named Truelove, who was one of the followers of William the Conqueror. At the Battle of Hastings, A.D. 1066, Duke William was thrown from his horse and his helmet beaten into his face; which Truelove observing, pulled it off and horsed him again. The Duke told him, 'Thou shalt be from Truelove caller Eyre (or air), because thou hast given me the air I breathe.' After the battle the Duke, on inquiry respecting him, found him severely wounded (the leg and thy having been struck off). He ordered him the utmost care, and on his recovery gave him lands in Derby in reward for his services, and the leg and thigh in armor cut off for his crest, an honorary badge yet worn by all the Eyres in England."
Dancingsky
None

10-10-2010, 08:15 PM

Thats not good Dancing Sky - I would have had something to say about my husband selling my home up without my consent. There would have been a right old row.

Nothing new there!
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2010, 09:43 PM

Aerolor, thanks for sharing that interesting story about your OH's family!
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2010, 11:25 AM

When we got married Jenny`s mother was move to write to her-I had never seen a `poison pen` letter before

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top