Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Dancingsky
None
Dancingsky is female  Dancingsky has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2010, 11:58 AM

Did you have a TV when you were a child?

We got our first TV in 1954, if I remember rightly, only BBC in those days. Children's Hour was on between 5pm-6pm. The station shut down until 7pm so parents could get the kiddies to bed!
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2010, 12:06 PM

Re: Did you have a TV when you were a child?

Yes we did, and on a Sunday afternoon (I think it was) I was allowed into the front room on my own of our tiny flat to watch The Liberace Show. I was absolutely enthralled aged 4 or 5 and cried my eys out at the end when he and his piano faded off into the distance.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2010, 12:20 PM

We didn't have a television until I had left school at 16, my Dad thought it would distract me from my studies and homework.
Manxman
Manchester, UK
Manxman is male  Manxman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2010, 12:28 PM

we had al loverly TV, walnut I think, had doors on the front of it, well polished by Mother.

I remember watch with Mother, Was it 'Picture book' where the Lady showed a tray, covered it with a scarf, took something away and you had to tell her what she had taken away?

Bill & Ben, Wooden Tops (spotty dog?), Andy Pandy, loopy loo? Teddy. Tales of the river bank. The Sheriff of Four Feather Falls. Torchy the battery boy.

What was Rag, Tag & Bobtail? I forget........
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2010, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Manxman ->
Was it about a rabbit, a mouse and something else? All in black and white and loved them.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2010, 12:57 PM

Rag, Tag and Bobtail was about a rabbit, a mouse and I think it was a hedgehog called Rag.

We had a television, but we didn't have one in 1953, my Uncle did though and we all went round to see the Coronation of Elizabeth. It was a little 12" Bush black and white set if I remember and was very disappointing.

Does anyone remember Muffin the Mule (but don't be rude) I loved him, even if you could see his strings.

I also remember the Ovaltines on the radio on a Sunday evening. I joined the Ovaltinee Club. My siser and I used to sit round the radio singing "we are the Ovaltinies, happy girls and boys" but we used to make up rude bits as we went along - 'til mum caught us. She nearly confiscated my Ovaltines badge
maryl
UK

11-10-2010, 01:03 PM

I am 59 - I must have my times muddled up? I remember Muffin the Mule well, he was even on the counter top of our local cake shop. I only know about the Ovaltinies because my Mum was one and she taught us the song. Also remember Mum saving up some coupons or something from packets of tea to get my little brother a Brookie Bond toy monkey - would that be right or did I imagine it?
maryl
UK

11-10-2010, 01:04 PM

Sorry Azz, I think I am guilty of thread changing here?
Manxman
Manchester, UK
Manxman is male  Manxman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2010, 01:11 PM

Was Muffin the Mule and Sooty charity boxes on the counters of shops?

I think Sooty was something like the blind or children's charities.
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2010, 01:13 PM

Yes, got one when they were first brought out in Scotland - think England had them first! Ours had doors and had a 24" screen - the cathode ray tube was only 6" and it was worked by mirrors inside and then onto the screen - the screen wasn't unlike the plazma sets out now! No ITV to start with and loads of intervals with a man making clay pots!! I can remember one program - No Hiding Place and Dixon of Dock Green but not sure when they came to the screen!! Strangely enough, we never watched much telly back then - rotten reception I think was the cause of it! I think the set was a Ferranti!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top