Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Dancingsky
None
Dancingsky is female  Dancingsky has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2010, 01:18 PM

Re: Did you have a TV when you were a child?

We liked Dixon of Dock Green. I seem to remember my father watched a programme called The Scarf, which was very frightening!
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2010, 01:41 PM

We were fairly late getting a TV in our road. Our next door neighbours - the Pettits - had the first TV in the street and were the sole TV owners for quite few years. I remember as a five year old when the whole street seemed to crowd into the Pettit's front room to watch the Coronation in 1953. Five years after that, we still hadn't got a TV when Mr Pettit came hammering on our door one night in February. Knowing that my dad and I loved football, he thought we would want to watch the news. We saw film of a snowy plane wreck at Munich airport and the reporters talking about the devastation of the "Busby Babes." Later, when I found that Duncan Edwards was dead, I was unconsolable - he, along with Billy Wright, the England captain were my footballing heroes.
Later that year, mum and dad told us we were going out somewhere special. We all piled into the motorbike and sidecar (the 50's equivalent of a small family car). Dad driving, me on the pillion and mum and my two sisters in the sidecar. Our journey was pretty short - about half a mile down to the local TV shop where we rented a fabulous (we thought) Peto Scott television which we had for many years:

After about a year of watching BBC (the only channel available to us) we invested in a little box of electronics which sat on top of the TV and allowed us to see Commercial TV provided courtesy of the ITA.

Mick
telmar
yorkshire uk
telmar is female  telmar has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2010, 01:52 PM

It must have been in 1952 because I remember seeing the news re: the King's death.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2010, 01:53 PM

We rented our television from Radio Rentals and when we had had it for a few years, they always replaced it with an updated model at no extra charge. All repairs were free when it broke down ..... probably caused by my Dad thumping the top of the set too often to try to get rid of the interference!

It was years before we actually owned our own TV!
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2010, 01:57 PM

We rented ours too, a lot of people did I think back then. We even rented our first video player when the kids were little - a Betamax from radio rentals.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2010, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->

It was years before we actually owned our own TV!
Same here. I think the first one we actually owned was a colour TV in the mid 60's. By then we were relatively well off as all us kids were teenagers with weekend jobs and mum was working full time as well as dad.

The programme I remember best from those days was one of the best Science Fiction series ever made - "Quatermass and the Pit" - I was allowed special dispensation to sit up and watch it (although I was only 10/11). It was brilliant!!
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2010, 02:30 PM

We moved when I was 3/4? so that would be around 1957 and we had a tv then. I think I remember the `scarf` certainly `quatermass` and of course Dixon and `what`s my line?`
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2010, 04:30 PM

I am old enough that there WAS no TV when I was a child! We got our first set when I was a freshman in college: a largish B & W set in a cabinet with doors that masqueraded as a cabinet when not in use.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2010, 05:35 PM

I think we got our first television in about 1958 - a black and white. I remember my dad not wanting us to have the ITV channel because of the adverts. He thought it quite a bad influence. I can't remember but I think it needed something extra to get ITV anyway so we just had BBC. We were quite strictly rationed over what and how long we watched for, so I must admit I didn't think it was anything special.
buttercup
Wiltshire
buttercup is female  buttercup has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2010, 06:35 PM

I too remember Bill and Ben (my absolute favourite), rag tag and bobtail, etc. We weren't allowed to watch much telly but I do remember Quatermass which I found terrifying and I usually ended up hiding behind the settee.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top