Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Manxman
Manchester, UK
Manxman is male  Manxman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2010, 07:14 PM

Did you use a fountain pen at school? Read this news article

Is the world going mad, I was trained in Calligraphy in school as was the rest of the school and encouraged to write with a nib.

I still use fountain pens at work and at home, people at work comment on the clarity and style of my writing. My Sister who is 14 years my elder writes almost identically, same school.

The artical comes from The Manchester Evening News; http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/news/education/s/1345312_headmaster_bans_fountain_pens_in_school_ov er_exam_fears?rss=yes
buttercup
Wiltshire
buttercup is female  buttercup has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2010, 07:56 PM

Re: Did you use a fountain pen at school? Read this news article

I can see the reasoning for the ban because of papers having to be scanned. Personally I love writing with a fountain pen but at my first school initially we had little slates with chalk and then in the next class graduated to little inkwells in the desks with a pen you had to dip in. Very difficult not to get blotches of ink all over the paper
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2010, 08:04 PM

We used a nibbed pen and inkwell at school - I think we learnt to write clearly because of it and we also learned to be careful and tidy (had to with a nibbed pen).

Later on we all had to have fountain pens and this was what we had to use until we finished school. Biros were not allowed at my school anyway. We also had to learn to form letters correctly using the upward and downward strokes. When we did joined up writing we had to join and leave the words at the correcty places, otherwise we got red ink all over our work.
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2010, 08:12 PM

I used to love writing with a fountain pen. At Primary School we also had ink wells and used to have to dip the nib in. At Secondary School, we were allowed to use a biro if we wanted, but I always used to use a fountain pen and take a little bottle of ink with me. I write backhand and people found my writing easier to read when I used fountain pen instead of biro.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2010, 08:31 PM

No, but I did buy a calligraphy set once - and I rather enjoyed it
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2010, 09:23 PM

I started with the dip-in pen and inkwell ..... I always looked forward to the time when it was my turn to fill the inkwells! When my parents thought my writing was neat enough they bought me my first fountain pen and a bottle of Quink ink ..... I felt so grown up then!

At Grammar School we weren't allowed to use a biro at all - our English teachers said they ruined your handwriting and to some extent I think that was true.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2010, 09:39 PM

We used fountain pens in grade and high school, by the time I was in college ball points were common. We had penmanship classes in grade school where we had to practice our upper and lower case letters and joining letters. I haven't used a fountain pen since those days with the exception of when I studied calligraphy.
Dancingsky
None
Dancingsky is female  Dancingsky has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2010, 08:07 AM

We had to use fountain pens when I was at school and horrible they were too! Thank goodness for the biro which are much easier to use, especially if you write with your left hand as I do. My script isn't pretty, but who cares as long as it is legible. Teaching kids perfect handwriting is a complete waste of time in this day and age when other things are so much more important, imo.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2010, 08:57 AM

Funny how we are alll different. I have always hated biros - I was so proud of my fountain pen - my parents bought me a set in a box with a propelling pencil and I was so pleased with them and it made me try so hard to achieve a good standard. (I must have been a prissy little madam).
I think the "tools" you have available and get to work with help so much with the creativity that many parents hope their children will acquire as they grow. I remember being enthralled with drawing paper and couldn't wait to create on paper what was in my imagination. I would draw and paint on any scrap of paper I could find. I still love the smell of paints, inks, paper etc. although I am never satisfied with what I manage to create. For me, the creativity of music and art is such an important element of my life.
If I can do nothing else for my grandchildren I hope I can encourage appreciation in this direction.
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2010, 10:16 AM

I always hated pens and ink at both primary and the High schools! I did get good marks for writing though. We weren't allowed to use Biro pens. I remember the first Biros - big long blue covered biros they were and the ink tubes would burst and make a mess of everything!!

My late big brother bought me a lovely fountain pen set - Conway Stewart I think it was - in their own cover - and I loved them, until a tea leaf pinched them!!

I can understand though the reasoning behind the ban - and we all have to move with the times though!

My late Dad was good at Caligraphy and taught me as well but I didn't like it!!

My handwriting went out the window when I started to type at 15!! I hate writing now!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top