Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Dancingsky
None
Dancingsky is female  Dancingsky has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2010, 11:03 AM

Re: Did you use a fountain pen at school? Read this news article

My handwriting is much worse now I use the computer for all my correspondence, I never actually write a letter anymore.
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2010, 01:19 PM

Yes, we had to use the 'dip-pen' at school with inkwells and lots of blotting paper. The teachers were very tight with it and let you have just a little square. I loved my first set of a fountain pen and propelling pencil too. By the time I was in the 5th year cartridge pens were in.
My seven year old grandaughter is learning 'joined up' wiriting at school, she is left handed and is finding this easier than printing.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2010, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Dancingsky ->
My handwriting is much worse now I use the computer for all my correspondence, I never actually write a letter anymore.
Computers have had an affect on me as well and I also think my handwriting is worse nowadays. I seem to want to write as fast as I think and it comes out as an illegible scribble. I also tend to write a lot in shorthand which doesn't help.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2010, 04:46 PM

I think handwriting is becoming a lost art, regardless of what instrument you use. When was the last time you sent someone a handwritten letter?
Dancingsky
None
Dancingsky is female  Dancingsky has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2010, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
I think handwriting is becoming a lost art, regardless of what instrument you use. When was the last time you sent someone a handwritten letter?
I can't remember, years ago, before I learned to use the computer. I never send a hand written letter now, I prefer to use e-mail if I can, so much easier and saves a stamp!

I long for the day when one could reasonably send Christmas greetings to everyone by e-mail instead of cards. So much more environmental, they only get chucked out as soon as Christmas is over anyway. I hate having to write the blessed things, it has always been my task, I can't say receiving them gives me much pleasure either, especially if they come with a letter the length of 'War and Peace' as some do! BAH HUMBUG!
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2010, 05:55 PM

My Dad is an excellent handwriter and would use nothing only a fountain pen, he can't stand biro's and even at 93 his writing is as steady as a rock, mine's terrible.
You are right DM, it is becoming lost to us.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2010, 06:07 PM

I agree that writing letters does seem to be dying out, but I still send letters and I like receiving them - I must be old-fashioned.
I also still like sending and receiving Christmas cards and the little notes that come with them. I don't think I would feel the same about an e-mailed card. It seems impersonal to me. I do only buy Oxfam cards these days and they don't go to waste at our house as afterwards I always either send them for re-cycling and also cut some suitable ones up and use the pictures for gift tags next year. It not that I'm noble - I'm just a bit thrifty - or maybe mean
alima
surrey
alima is female  alima has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2010, 07:55 PM

I'm left-handed and I find it nigh on impossible to write with a fountain pen. You are pushing against the nib and the result is a scratchy mess.

If I'm really honest, I find writing a bit of a labour even with a biro. Not because I have learning difficulties but simply because I'm left-handed. Writing is geared up to the right hand - script flows left to right for the writer who is pulling the pen, not pushing it.

I know that there are ways round this but it's still hard and laborious.

So, despite my age, I'm no fan of the fountain pen.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2010, 08:44 PM

I do enjoy Christmas cards and the occasional Annual update that comes with a few. E-mail is fine for 99% of correspondence, but I do like the colorful cards to decorate the mantel with ... and I recycle them also.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2010, 09:52 PM

I always receive a written thank you letter from my grandchildren for their Birthday and Christmas presents, they are 7 and 10 now and it's lovely to see how their writing has progressed over the years into joined up writing. Also it's nice to know that my daughter is carrying on the tradition of sending thank you letters as she did through her childhood.

I would really miss not receiving Birthday cards and Christmas cards - a message by email just isn't the same

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top