Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2018, 07:33 AM

Re: Would you go?

The court of Henry the Eighth or Queen Elizabeth 1st reign i would go armed with modren cosmetics and potions and come back laden with gold

Seriously i would love to see what it was like then not only at court but walking around a seeing how people lived.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2018, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
Hahahaha!!!

I think it was a classified ad from an... ermmm.. intellectually challenged individual, shall we say, Tara
And I think his weapons were for defence...

Although I could be completely wrong
Perhaps he was intent on assassinating an historical VIP!
I thought if was an April fool spoof?
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2018, 08:37 AM

Although I've often thought about this, but ancient history's full of dangers for a time traveller. Someone I know was asked at an interview "if you found yourself in Roman times, how would you explain a torch?" Even the most rudimentary knowledge we have now would be mostly impossible to explain without being put to death as some sort of witch or magician.

If I could time travel I think I'd want to be just an onlooker with no actual interaction with people, far safer IMO. There are so many periods of history I'd love to see first hand.

PS The chap being interviewed wasn't able to answer the question, of course.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2018, 08:46 AM

Hi

I would love to go back to the time of the dinosaurs.

My weapon of choice would be an armoured personnel carrier with a heavy machine gun and a 30mm canon, with me safe inside it.

I would want to get back in one piece.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2018, 10:11 AM

It might be Claire Randall from Outlander, so yes I would go with her and I would only need the one weapon.

Seriously though, yes,I would love to go back in time. Think of all the things you could 'invent'.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2018, 10:16 AM

After giving it some thought and considering Eccles post I've come to the conclusion that it would not be necessary to take any weapons or items of personal protection with us should we be able to transport ourselves to a time gone by.

We would simply not be able to interact with other lifeforms or indeed the world around us. Even the smallest of interference by our visit could drastically alter the development of the world including our own future existence.

I believe that it could be possible to focus on past events in the same way one watches a film. You can not alter the progress of the film, you are merely a bystander watching from a different dimension, but with no control over the events. Ah! I hear you say, but you can alter the outcome of a film through editing. You are not altering the original recording though, you are producing another copy, a different copy, the original has been done and saved somewhere. Once a thing has been said or done it can not be unsaid or undone.

Watching historical events that have happened and then being stamped and saved in space and time that could be re-run should we ever be able to build suitable equipment to locate and play back the events. Perhaps it's already being done and we are experiencing visitors from the future, could ghosts be those visitors. Elusive to most, and with no impact on real life except stories that will never be proved....
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2018, 11:37 AM

If I could go back in time I would go back to 1914-18 and find corporal Hitler and put a Bullet in his head.
Then go back further to find out what really this Jesus bloke was about.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2018, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Emjay ->
If I could go back in time I would go back to 1914-18 and find corporal Hitler and put a Bullet in his head.
I haven't got much interest in going back in time, the future would be more interesting. However, as I had to put up with hearing about that guy, Jesus, throughout my childhood it would interesting to discover what the real Jesus was actually like.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2018, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Emjay ->
That's a good plan Emjay. I'll come with you.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2018, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
And if so...
Which era would you be hoping for?!
Tempting, Rhian, very tempting.

If I could be certain of a 'return ticket' I would like to visit the Edwardian era - for the elegance and good manners, the Tudor era - for the politics, the early 1920s for the exquisite fashions, and the era of the Industrial Revolution - for the sheer wonder and excitement of all those new discoveries !

I don't do weapons!!

All that - and back in time to feed the cats would be excellent!!

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top