Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2011, 07:48 AM

Re: General fitness deterioration!

Originally Posted by Graham ->
Would love to be fitter than I am now, but arthritis is slowly getting to me.
Since Titanium is stronger than calcium Graham matey, come on - get your Arthritic joints replaced - I can recommend an excellent surgeon and a good (NHS) hospital. Will be seeing this particular Surgeon myself on Tuesday.
Graham
South Hampshire
Graham is male  Graham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2011, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Since Titanium is stronger than calcium Graham matey, come on - get your Arthritic joints replaced - I can recommend an excellent surgeon and a good (NHS) hospital. Will be seeing this particular Surgeon myself on Tuesday.
Its not a good surgeon I need, it will be a good anesthetist.
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2011, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Graham ->
Would love to be fitter than I am now, but arthritis is slowly getting to me.
Graham, I had to give up a very much loved job in 2005 because of arthritis. Gradually over the years it has got much worse and more painful.

I kept going to the doctor and explaind that some nights I was crying with the pain. She had already given me co-codemol, ibuprofen and some sort of anti inflammatory gel to rub on. Finally she gave me a bottle of morphine and that scared the life out of me.

I took it twice and even that didn't stop the pain and let me sleep. Then a new doctor put me on amitriptyline which helped me sleep but my knees were still stopping me from getting anything done or enjoying a walk.

Then we moved and my new doctor put me straight on some pills to help me lose weight and then gave me cortisone injections in both knees. Magically I can now walk without so much pain.

I am losing weight and I will get some new knees but for now the pain is eased. Don't just put up with arthritis pain make your doctor do something about it.

In fact all of us should never be fobbed off by a doctor who tells us that it is 'our age' NO IT IS NOT we can be as good as we can be with a little help from the doc.

Just seen your last post. You know this operation can be done while you are awake? They are talking about that for me if I can't lose the weight.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2011, 02:44 PM

Cate, Graham have had BOTH hips, and BOTH knees replaced and was conscious throughout each of the four operations. Wasn't in any pain whatsoever, had an epidural and was numb from the waist down. Heard the surgeon sawing and hammering at my bones and felt the vibration of his handiwork but I had thorough confidence in him and wasn't worried in the slightest - a truly lovely man!!!

So come on Graham matey, you too can get your joints replaced and don't need a general anaesthetic to do it.
Graham
South Hampshire
Graham is male  Graham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2011, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
So come on Graham matey, you too can get your joints replaced and don't need a general anaesthetic to do it.

I am well aware of how they do hip replacements, I have been in the hip replacement forums for some time. Its even up there for all to see in Youtube. When I say I need a good anesthetist, I'm looking for one that will knock me out

To be honest, I have a list of ten reasons of why I don't want to have it done -at least at the moment. Personal circumstances, my home life, a possible threat to my career and all things I have to consider before I lay on the table and get sawn in half.

Being a needle phobic and the thought of having a spinal injection scares the absolute living hell out of me and is number 3 on my list.

But given the level of pain I have, I'm a little way from getting it done, maybe a year or so. To be honest, in day-to-day matters, its not that bad, only aches if I'm on my feet for a few hours or so.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2011, 05:48 PM

I think you are wise Graham, especially if you are only 50 and it's perhaps not bad enough. - Hopefully it will stay stable and not get a lot worse for you. Mind you epidurals/spinal blocks are wonderful. I've had surgery this way and I wouldn't turn one down.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2011, 06:01 PM

Goodness yes, havent time now to do lots of housework, the forum calls!.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2011, 06:07 PM

Graham knows what he can stand and I for one dont think that an epidural is fun. I had one and the man doing it was a student and he was being taught by the main man, agony, belive me, wouldnt have another.
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2011, 06:11 PM

I remember my Mum having a hip replacement while still conscious, she wasn't bothered by it at all, she was young, in her fifties and had to have a second one because the first wore out! They probably last a lot longer now though?
(Aerolor - Bonnie in the dishwasher? Bless her!)
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2011, 08:09 PM

Yes Maryl she stands on it and gets right inside. She put her head into the washing machine as well and drags all the clothes out - she is a little devil now and into everything - such a little helper - I think I am going to have to give her a job to do - she is very good at emptying bins too. The joys of having a puppy around.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top