Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2019, 12:54 PM

Chromebooks

Does anyone use a (Google) Chromebook?

If so, I'd be interested in your opinions. For example, can you run Windows programmes on it? Do you find any limitations of any sort?

The adverts claim that they update software whilst running the laptop, which is a far better method than the Windows system of running updates and not allowing you to use the computer until it has finished.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2019, 01:17 PM

Re: Chromebooks

Chromebooks use the Chrome operating system developed be Google from Android and as such, Windows programs won't run natively.

Chrome is a cloud-based operating system so there's no real need to install programs on it. You will need an internet connections to run any programs but you can still download files to work on them while you aren't connected to the Net.

You can access the Android `Playstore` and get the Crossover App or better still, use the Android versions of Excel or Windows (I use both of these on my Android tablet and phone for compatibility with those on my PC.

Crossover:

https://lifehacker.com/how-to-run-a-...ook-1829716989
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2019, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Chromebooks use the Chrome operating system developed be Google from Android and as such, Windows programs won't run natively.

Chrome is a cloud-based operating system so there's no real need to install programs on it. You will need an internet connections to run any programs but you can still download files to work on them while you aren't connected to the Net.

You can access the Android `Playstore` and get the Crossover App or better still, use the Android versions of Excel or Windows (I use both of these on my Android tablet and phone for compatibility with those on my PC.

Crossover:

https://lifehacker.com/how-to-run-a-...ook-1829716989
Thanks, Judd.

The Crossover thing looks a good idea, although I'd prefer to keep my apps (programmes) installed on my computer and on the CDs (etc) on which they came.

I assume that you can't download programmes to keep on a Chromebook and that you must use them only when connected to the internet, unless I misunderstood.

I think, though, that Chromebooks could become increasingly popular if Microsoft doesn't stop attempting to take control of our Windows computers.

I suppose that one option would be to run a Windows computer without any internet connection, to avoid Microsoft's control, and a Chromebook for internet and email use.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2019, 06:10 PM

You can use Chromebooks just fine when not connected to the internet. I was forever on Google Docs and it was stored locally, syncing when I had a connection.

What got to me about them was the cheap plastic build. I don't want to be using plastic much when I'm using a computer. And though the keys on my MacBook might be plastic, at least they're individually backlit - I consider this a must with any computer, along with a good screen.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

27-03-2019, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
You can use Chromebooks just fine when not connected to the internet. I was forever on Google Docs and it was stored locally, syncing when I had a connection.

What got to me about them was the cheap plastic build. I don't want to be using plastic much when I'm using a computer. And though the keys on my MacBook might be plastic, at least they're individually backlit - I consider this a must with any computer, along with a good screen.
Thanks.

If I was to consider getting one, I'd want to know that I could run Adobe Photoshop Elements and TurboCAD on it.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2019, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Thanks.

If I was to consider getting one, I'd want to know that I could run Adobe Photoshop Elements and TurboCAD on it.
Not natively but you can get Android based equivalents or perhaps stream Photoshop from a remote cloud-based server.

https://www.extremetech.com/computin...win-for-google
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

27-03-2019, 10:27 PM

Not natively but you can get Android based equivalents or perhaps stream Photoshop from a remote cloud-based server.

https://www.extremetech.com/computin...win-for-google
Encouraging, but from what I have seen, Creative Cloud costs well over £100.

However, assuming I have that, can I save my work on a Chromebook?
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire

28-03-2019, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Encouraging, but from what I have seen, Creative Cloud costs well over £100.

However, assuming I have that, can I save my work on a Chromebook?
More importantly, can you get a Chromebook that is powerful enough and have enough RAM to run those sort of programs?

Some of the SSD drives in the CBs aren't all that large either so you may have to store any work in the `cloud`.

Have you thought about Linux as an alternative? You can create a Linux partition on your existing PC and use the dual boot feature booting into Windows or Linux. You can use the freely available and heavily featured GIMP image manipulation program and there are a few CAD programs to choose from.

https://itsfoss.com/cad-software-linux/
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

28-03-2019, 02:18 PM

More importantly, can you get a Chromebook that is powerful enough and have enough RAM to run those sort of programs?

Some of the SSD drives in the CBs aren't all that large either so you may have to store any work in the `cloud`.

Have you thought about Linux as an alternative? You can create a Linux partition on your existing PC and use the dual boot feature booting into Windows or Linux. You can use the freely available and heavily featured GIMP image manipulation program and there are a few CAD programs to choose from.

https://itsfoss.com/cad-software-linux/
Yes thanks, I have thought about Linux, but for the time being I'm happy (relatively) with Windows.

I did actually try Gimp not too long ago. I worked well, but I found it a little more difficult to use compared to Photoshop Elements. It's probably that I am familiar with Photoshop, but perhaps Gimp is a little more complicated than what I'm used to.

These are all good alternatives, of course, should Windows become unattractive for some reason.

Also, should the built-in SSD prove not large enough, there's always the option of saving to an external hard drive - assuming they feature high speed USB connections.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2019, 10:50 AM

My Chrome book was a Toshiba, I think. It had an HD display - 1080p and I think 4GB of RAM but there was only a 16GB SSD in it. This wasn't a problem for me personally as I had little on there.

It did support USB-3 though - if that's not the correct name it's the one where you can see blue in the port. So connecting it to an external hard drive was no problem.

I think some of the new Chromebooks use USB-C and you may need an adaptor if you want to connect it to an external hard drive although some of those also support USB-C too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top