Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2019, 07:59 AM

Re: internet fibre optic

When cable first came to our road, the connection speed offered was 300Kbps. This seemed an incredible step up from the dial-up modem I using. The salesman wasn't far behind the cable layers. He didn't have to sell it to me as I'd already decided to go for it.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2019, 09:04 AM

My contract with Talk Talk has just run out and I have asked them about fibre broadband, which they say I can get in my area. However, if I stay as I am the price is the same as the fibre broadband. They will not offer any price reduction if I stay with them and on ordinary broadband. Because the prices are the same, I am wondering if the fibre broadband will actually be much better than I have now. I would change provider, but when I think of the hassle I had last time I am put off.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2019, 09:25 AM

Talk talk reputation is questionable. Worth checking out other companies before renewing contract. Have a chat with bt they often are flexible with their prices . We negotiated a better deal than their quoted. Packages
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2019, 09:32 AM

Thanks Realspeed. I think I will look around a bit. We did have a lot of hassle with Talk Talk and I vowed to part company with them when the contract finished, but recently all has been running well. I was a bit surprised that they wouldn't reduce the price when I asked. We currently pay £31.50 per month for ordinary speed broadband and unlimited telephone calls. No difference if we move over to fibre. I thought there would be a difference for staying as we are with no changes.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2019, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
My contract with Talk Talk has just run out and I have asked them about fibre broadband, which they say I can get in my area. However, if I stay as I am the price is the same as the fibre broadband. They will not offer any price reduction if I stay with them and on ordinary broadband. Because the prices are the same, I am wondering if the fibre broadband will actually be much better than I have now. I would change provider, but when I think of the hassle I had last time I am put off.
I switched from BT to ZEN and saved £20 a month.

Obviously there's some "attention to detail" required but the change-over went without a hitch .....

I have just checked and Zen are now offering even faster packages at 145 Mbps and 300 Mbps .....

I'll be upgrading my contract when it expires .....
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK

20-04-2019, 10:07 AM

Thanks Omah - I'll take a look at Zen.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2019, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
When I joined it was GPO telephones way back in 1972. no electronic switchboards back then even in firms. Used to have a stack if reference books to different types of systems called "plans" , ie plan 107/105 the boss sec. setup and small manual boards (2+4- 3+12- 4+18. lines and extns)
Good old days until BT went private and everything changed
Yes, I mean to say GPO Telephones - I joined as a YIT in 1963 at the non director, pre 2000 Strowger exchange in Folkestone.

In 1972 I was a TO in the PO Tower attending my Microwave II course at Stone. Actually that was also the last year I worked for the GPO, indeed the last year I worked as a technician at all.

Those two events were separated by my first few years in Australia

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	09-02-22 GPO Course Notes 018.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	9321  

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top