Join for free
Page 14 of 28 « First < 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 > Last »
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2019, 12:47 PM

Re: Let's talk about the Weather.

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
While we're on the subject of weather.

Men.

What is it with men and sports cars?

On a beautifully cold, frosty, icy, watery sunny day, a guy drives his sports car wearing a (navy) V neck jumper, open necked shirt underneath, driving with his radio (full blast) - with the top down!
I reckon he was 40+ age wise.

How to get noticed for all the wrong reasons. He would've pulled it off better wearing a deer storker

(Then I thought, perhaps he got his nooky this morning and he's in the 'everything's all right with the world' moment.
Thanks for the advice Tess.
DWebb
North East, UK
DWebb is male  DWebb has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2019, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Sydney is always more prone to storms than say Wollongong because generally speaking the weather comes from the west. Sydney is a big basin where the great dividing range (Blue Mountains) is about 80km from the sea so the weather gets time to form as it comes off the mountains whereas at Wollongong the mountains are only about 1 to 10km from the sea.

(I should say that is not my knowledge but a storm chaser friend of mine that I worked with for many years who over the years told me about these things to the point where I know what a katabatic wind is)

Southerly busters are the relief from the heat, in the colonial days there was a mechanical telegraph system from Jervis Bay to Sydney Observatory so a signal telling of a southerly coming up the coast was sent as good tidings for Sydney residents - they hoisted a special flag. The buster is usually a rapid drop in temperature with a brief but sometime gusty cool wind as a cold front goes rapidly up the coast.

We have had unprecedented weather in January with heatwaves one after another going on for a week at a time but the southerlies (until this one) have been brief and ineffective perhaps only dropping the temperature by a few degrees. I have never known anything like it in the (over) 50 years I have lived here.

It must be said that heat is energy so hotter climates are more prone to storms etc but these are usually brief if violent.
I love that sort of stuff So have the bush fires been worse this year with the higher temps?
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2019, 12:58 PM

It is as clear as a bell here and much warmer than yesterday.
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2019, 02:40 PM

Still snowing here, quite heavy now. It was supposed to stop this morning and anything else we got was supposed to be sleet but good old BBC Weather gets it wrong again
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2019, 03:03 PM

''Chaos here in my garden'' (I'm wearing a wooly bobbled hat and a quilted coat with 'The North Face' stitched into it - Mrs LD is hurling buckets of snow at my head to make it appear more dramatic).

''Behind me is what used to be my shed, now covered in at least two inches of snow and is unrecognisable. What was once a pond, full of gold fish is now a pond, full of goldfish .....with some snow on top.''

(Mrs LD is lobbing more snow)

''Looking in front of me, I can see the hose pipe and the outside tap which very nearly became frozen in the night.. er..... but it didn't. All bird feeders have run out of food as sparrows and Robins stock up for the iminent ice age. There are reports of more stocks inside the shed but of course, no one can find it.

So, treacherous conditions here and the advice from my neighbour is to stay inside the house and watch TV. The Met office has predicted at least another centimeter of snow to fall during today so it doesn't look as though things will improve any time soon''.

''This is Longdogs, in my back garden, bigging it up''

Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2019, 03:20 PM

Brilliant LD, Your tale of adversity made me chuckle
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

01-02-2019, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
Brilliant LD, Your tale of adversity made me chuckle
Thanks Rehab. I got the idea from the BBC News.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2019, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Thanks Rehab. I got the idea from the BBC News.
The odd thing was mate that I was reading it in an Attenborough style

I was also waiting for the immortal line, ‘ I am going outside now, I may be some time’

Let’s have more reports from you on the front line mate
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2019, 05:18 PM

The rain came along, now all the snow is gone.
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2019, 05:21 PM

A rapid thaw here today but the temperature has dropped now and it's sleeting again.

Page 14 of 28 « First < 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top