Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2020, 09:31 PM

Re: Watch Out!

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Better still dispense with batteries entirely! I used to always buy Seiko watches, mostly reliable and without problems. Except that was for the last one, that used batteries rapidly. Initially I bought a new battery and had it fitted. Then one that had only just been fitted seemed to have gone faulty, the watch had stopped. It was reckoned there was a fault with the watch, hence rapid battery usage.

Rather than have it repaired, I had the watch some years, so reckoned I deserved a new one. Checked out what was available and bought a Citizen Eco-drive watch. That works on the battery being recharged by light, sort of solar-powered, so never needs a replacement battery.

That was in 2011 and it's still going well.
I bought a Seiko eco drive Baz, cost me 80 quid. I had it a couple of years before I noticed it had stopped. apparently, even though they are 'Eco Drive' or 'Solar' they still have a battery.

Anyway, mine had gone flat and failed to recharge so I took it to a watch bloke and he wanted £50 upfront because the rechargeable batteries are more expensive than the ordinary ones, and he said he could not guarantee that the watch would work with a new battery, he had had trouble with Eco drive before.....So I binned it.....

I'll stick with Casio in the future, much more reliable and better watches for doing what a watch is supposed to do....
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2020, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
– Snip –

Rather than have it repaired, I had the watch some years, so reckoned I deserved a new one. Checked out what was available and bought a Citizen Eco-drive watch. That works on the battery being recharged by light, sort of solar-powered, so never needs a replacement battery.

That was in 2011 and it's still going well.
Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I bought a Seiko eco drive Baz, cost me 80 quid. I had it a couple of years before I noticed it had stopped. apparently, even though they are 'Eco Drive' or 'Solar' they still have a battery.

Anyway, mine had gone flat and failed to recharge so I took it to a watch bloke and he wanted £50 upfront because the rechargeable batteries are more expensive than the ordinary ones, and he said he could not guarantee that the watch would work with a new battery, he had had trouble with Eco drive before.....So I binned it.....

I'll stick with Casio in the future, much more reliable and better watches for doing what a watch is supposed to do....
The watch I had problems with was a Seiko when it was using batteries rather rapidly. The one I bought as a replacement was not a Seiko Eco-Drive, it was a Citizen Eco-Drive, that has been very reliable and after 11 years is still going well, touch wood.

Up until those battery problems with the Seiko I had always found them good watches and very reliable. I took quite a time looking around for a new one, it was the fact that Citizen had Eco-Drive models that made me buy that make. I think I would have done the same as you though if faced with a £50 cost for a replacement battery without a guarantee, that's getting on for half the cost of a new watch! Hopefully mine will keep going for a few years yet though.

Although as some have posted, a watch is not really necessary with most people these days having a mobile phone, me included.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2020, 10:57 PM

Sorry Realist but I will always wear a watch instead of using my phone. My phone is a clamshell phone and is by no means smart, therefore it normally lives in my pocket or rucksack, quite a palava trying to glance at quickly while running for a bus.

Furthermore, I wear my casio stopwatch on my wrist while out running because I don't carry a phone that would have to be strapped about my person.

A watch is a far more subtle and efficient timepiece worn on the wrist where it can be easily accessed and least likely to get damaged during a tumble.

Fair do's to people who carry their smartphone wherever they go and can't do without it, for me it's an expensive and unnecessary piece of equipment that mostly resides in the bottom of my rucksack.....

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top