Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2019, 10:16 PM

What the heck is a chromebook and how do you buy a laptop these days???!

Ok so I am trying to buy a new laptop. My main specifications are all the usual basics (hdmi, usb ports, etc) a decent sized screen (at least 15.6") so that I do not have to squint and it has to be relatively lightweight. Oh yes! I also want to be able to transfer stuff from my sony camera (yes a real actual camera!). I'm old school like that

You'd think that was fairly straightforward. But it seems that you either pay £1k for a mac or you end up not needing the gym because you can get a decent work out lifting your laptop.

So I found an Asus chromebook, but what the heck is that? It runs on a chrome OS. Again,what the heck does that mean? Will it mean I cannot use MS office? Well that would suck.

I just despair with all this choice which is in fact non-choice because I cannot choose something similar to what I had before. Pretty rubbish IMO. I had a fabulous lightweight Asus which was windows 8 and for some reason my security firewall stopped updating. So I moved to a toshiba I had as a spare and that is basically falling apart. Literally by that I mean the hardware screws keep coming loose and the plastic around the ventilation is cracked. It's all wobbly so I am forced to change.

Am I the only one with this problem? Laptops these days seem to either be gaming over £1k or rubbish notebook tiny tiddlers. Help!!! Surely there is a business opportunity for someone out there to produce something useful.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2019, 11:09 PM

Re: What the heck is a chromebook and how do you buy a laptop these days???!

I just stick to the known brands with the best back up service. Dell, Acer, Japanese brands etc. I guess it's the same as everything else Annie. The exact product you want is out there. But if you want something that's good, you have to pay for it. I don't always reject something just because it's Chinese made but I think most of it is pretty ordinary.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2019, 11:29 PM

But Keezoy I do just want ordinary - honest! Just a basic laptop no gaming, no excess data requirements. I have pretty low expectations but it seems that manufacturers have even lower standards than my low expectations!!
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2019, 12:36 AM

A Chromebook is a laptop that uses Googles own operating system called ChromeOS. These machines are actually defined as a 'notebook' due to there supposedly small size, low specs and low power requirements. They were designed to fill in a gap between mobile phones and Laptops, hence now their being mobile phones, tablets, notebooks and laptops.

If your looking for a laptop that fits modern day usage, has hdmi outputs, usb, sd card reader (useful for camera users), then HP Envy fits the bill very well. They can range from £300 all the way to over $1500 and that is not even gaming laptops. Dell also produce a good range of laptops. But to be honest, if your looking for a more business type of laptop, small, thin but still packs a punch then the new HP Envy range is the one to look at in my opinion.

Just a google search on HP Envy and look at all the different types available. In my line of work, I've seen some of the very thin polished metal looking 15 inch laptops they make and they look damn nice.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

29-12-2019, 01:02 AM

Dodge I swore I would never get another HP. I still have the scorch marks on my thighs!
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2019, 01:26 AM

The problem is Annie, the laptop market is just saturated with far too many different makes and models from far to many manufacturers. You've now also got tablets such as the latest Apple ipad pro and the latest microsoft surface which are pushing the boundaries of tablet into laptop due to how powerful they are becoming.

I work for a company that repairs laptops on a daily basis and i see hundreds and hundreds of different types every month. From someone who see's and repairs many on a daily basis, all i can advise is

1) Stick to the screen size
2) If your a camera user make sure it has an SD card reader (do not fall into trap of having to use a USB card reader)
3) Stick to wanting USB, external HDMI
4) Stick to the weight you have in mind

The biggest problem you will find is that you could find all of this in a laptop BUT it is either in the wrong colour or it's design is not to your liking.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2019, 01:30 AM

I don't know much about new laptops (my Acer is 8 years old) but a search of Which magazine revealed this Asus:

https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/lapt...vobook-15-x505
Asus VivoBook 15 X505

£399.00

Test score 64%

Which? verdict: No outstanding features and a few flaws

The VivoBook 15 X505 is a 15-inch laptop that, on paper, looks the ideal partner for anybody looking to get work done at home, be it editing a few photos or simply sending emails. We’ve run it through our full lab tests to find out whether it should be your next computer or whether you should look elsewhere.

Connections

USB 2.0 2
USB 3 1
USB-C 1
HDMI out 1
Ethernet port 1
No SD Card slot, though - perhaps your camera can connect directly to a PC ..... ?

Amazon have it:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-VivoBo...07SHT8C3D?th=1

IMO, worth considering at that price, if you're a home office type user and not a gamer.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2019, 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Am I the only one with this problem? Laptops these days seem to either be gaming over £1k or rubbish notebook tiny tiddlers. Help!!! Surely there is a business opportunity for someone out there to produce something useful.
You might try buying from the manufacturer on line. Personally I like Lenovo brand. Buying directly from the manufacturer usually means you have a lot of choice on many components ie Processr, Hard Drive size or specs. You start with a base and built from there, you are not presented with one model take it or leave it as you are when you go to a retailer.

From what you say I suspect you need a computer running Windows

That would be one criteria

Then screen size - second criteria

USB ports and HDMI connections next

Then perhaps SD card socket

But there after it is purely a matter of price. Pay as much as you can afford for a reputable brand because more money usually means a faster computer. There is nothing worse than a cheap computer that is as slow as a wet weekend because money was saved on the processor.

If it was me I would look at Lenovo, HP and Dell to limit choice.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2019, 06:48 AM

Hi

Laptops direct are good, just enter in your scree size, operating system etc and have a look

They have this one for example,

https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/asus...ion.asp#/specs

An SD card reader wuich plugs in is to a USB port is less than £10
Tregonsee
Lancashire UK
Tregonsee is male  Tregonsee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2019, 11:32 AM

Does it really have to be a laptop?
Desktops usually have more features, faster processors more RAM.
If it must be a laptop consider a refurbished one.
Tier one online do some great ex business machines at a fraction of the original price. ( Often with some original manufacturers guarantee)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top