Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2020, 09:40 AM

Pharaoh khafre

While touring Egypt, I spent several days inside the Museum of Antiquities. I never book a tour as I hate being herded around like a sheep and I would not get to spend the time I want examining monuments and museums.

Thus, upon entering room 37 in that museum, I was struck dumb by the life-sized statue of Pharaoh Khafre which is made of black and grey diorite... the 2nd hardest material known to man. Only diamonds are harder.

I could not tear myself away from that magnificent statue. After walking around it several times I propped myself against a wall and spread my Egyptian history books before me.

Even though I knew full well that I might get in trouble if I touched the statute, I could not help myself. It was as smooth as a mirror. How were the ancient Egyptians able to make that statue of diorite so smooth ?

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	2-statue-of-khafre-enthroned-2520-bc-everett.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	11466   Click image for larger version

Name:	Khafre_Enthroned,_three-quarter_view.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	11467  
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2020, 09:43 AM

Re: Pharaoh khafre

What an experience BM . I would loved to have seen it . I'm fascinated about ancient Egypt and love documentaries . I never find the answers even though I keep questioning

Is that a Hawk on his back ?
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2020, 09:49 AM

[QUOTE=susan m;1846197]What an experience BM . I would loved to have seen it . I'm fascinated about ancient Egypt and love documentaries . I never find the answers even though I keep questioning

Is that a Hawk on his back ?[/QUOTE

Yes. That is the god Horus. One of the most sacred of all the gods. Son of Isis and Osiris. He is spreading his wings around Pharaoh Khafre to protect him from any danger and to demonstrate that he, Horus, is accepting Khafre as one of the god kings.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2020, 09:51 AM

It's a puzzle isn't it Bakerman in fact the whole pyramids thing is a bit of a puzzle.
bakerman
Mexico

22-01-2020, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
It's a puzzle isn't it Bakerman in fact the whole pyramids thing is a bit of a puzzle.
Yes, indeed it is. No one can honestly say that he knows exactly how the pyramids were built. One thing is certain, however, the pyramids were not built by aliens, no matter what some fools think.
bakerman
Mexico

22-01-2020, 10:18 AM

The death mask of Pharaoh Tutankamen. IMO the single most magnificent, beautiful piece of art ever created by man. It weighs 18.2 kilos of solid gold.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	11468  
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2020, 10:25 AM

Quite a fabulous thing indeed Bakerman, and there are thousands of examples of impossible for the time artefacts, not only throughout Egypt history but also the world. An absolutely fascinating subject.

As it happens I am going to London next week to visit the Tutankamun exhibition which is on until May, after which the artefacts will be transferred to the newly built Egyptian museum at Cairo, and are said to be never to leave the country again..
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2020, 10:26 AM

Baker man, I heard recently that they found a foetus ( or was it two) buried with king tut , have you heard about this . I'm unsure if it's fake news ?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2020, 10:28 AM

Loved the museum went there years ago .
It’s just like The Mummy
bakerman
Mexico

22-01-2020, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
Baker man, I heard recently that they found a foetus ( or was it two) buried with king tut , have you heard about this . I'm unsure if it's fake news ?
Yes, Howard Carter did indeed find two fetus' in Tutankamens tomb. That would not have been unusual because it was quite common for brother and sister to marry in order to keep a blood line "pure". The two un-mummified fetus' were twin girls.

As a bit of an aside. After Tut's death, Queen Ankhesenamum, wife of Tut wrote a letter on papyrus, which was found in Syria, practically begging the king of Syria to send one of his sons to marry her. It seems quite likely that she feared for her very life. It is thought by some Egyptologists that Tut himself may have been murdered by Ay, who became the next pharaoh.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top