Join for free
Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2020, 09:49 PM

Re: Foxy on Tour

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Could it have been a sniffer OGF?
Donkeyman!
I never thought of that Donkeyman......
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2020, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I wasn't too keen on Amsterdam, I found it scruffy with piles of cigarette butts adorning the pot holed roads and walkways. It wasn't the picturesque quaint little town I had grown up to believe it was.
I haven't been to Amsterdam since the 1950s but isn't that a problem that the docks in older cities tend to be struck in run down areas? Think Tilbury.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2020, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I haven't been to Amsterdam since the 1950s but isn't that a problem that the docks in older cities tend to be struck in run down areas? Think Tilbury.
Yes that's quite true Bruce, but after a decent walk from the cruise terminal, which I must say was clean, newish and well organised, we found ourselves in the city centre and I was very disappointed. Perhaps had I delved further into Holland's interior It would have been the country I had read about and admired since childhood.
Having been a courier I have visited most of the UK's towns and cities, and any one of them would give Amsterdam a serious run for its money.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2020, 06:01 PM

Sorry your visit to Amsterdam was such a disappointment to you Bob, I hope that, and your bad toe, didn’t spoil your holiday too much.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

08-01-2020, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Sorry your visit to Amsterdam was such a disappointment to you Bob, I hope that, and your bad toe, didn’t spoil your holiday too much.
Had some very good food and company Mags, just a pity that we didn't get to see Amsterdam the next day so I could have posted some photos.
It turns out that after a visit to the doctors on Monday I have got gout!
My big toe has caused me problems for the last couple of years and I thought it was just a bunion. So much for self diagnosis on the internet...
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2020, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Had some very good food and company Mags, just a pity that we didn't get to see Amsterdam the next day so I could have posted some photos.
It turns out that after a visit to the doctors on Monday I have got gout!
My big toe has caused me problems for the last couple of years and I thought it was just a bunion. So much for self diagnosis on the internet...
My late FIL used to get bouts of gout and use to say how painful it was. I wonder what caused you to get it whilst on holiday
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2020, 06:17 PM

Sue and I board our ship in Amsterdam at 10am later o this year, the brochure says about it.

Quote"
City of charming canals, elegant gabled houses, splendid museums and abundant bicycles, the Dutch capital of Amsterdam is a delight to explore. Its patchwork of waterways forms about 90 islands connected by 1,500 bridges. The legacy of the Dutch Golden Age lives on in gilded manses and in the lush paintings of Rembrandt and other Dutch masters that adorn the Rijksmuseum, The Netherlands’ grand repository of art and cultural history. Today, discovering Amsterdam is a pleasure best pursued on foot, following tranquil canals past charming narrow-fronted houses. Linger over classic Dutch pancakes, or take a stroopwafel to go." unquote

by the time we board and go through ship safety drill we won't see any of it. also there are no tours laid on anyway

second day we will be in "KINDERDIJK in the Netherlands
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

08-01-2020, 06:19 PM

I believe it was the red wine Mags, I only usually have a glass with my Sunday lunch, but we had a bottle with our meal every night while on board the ship. I suspected it might be the case so when we got home after my toe had settled down I deliberately had a couple of glasses on Sunday night and I was in so much pain in the early hours I couldn't go back to sleep.

Mrs Fox and me enjoying our New Years Eve banquet with plenty of red wine....

OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

08-01-2020, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Sue and I board our ship in Amsterdam at 10am later o this year, the brochure says about it.

Quote"
City of charming canals, elegant gabled houses, splendid museums and abundant bicycles, the Dutch capital of Amsterdam is a delight to explore. Its patchwork of waterways forms about 90 islands connected by 1,500 bridges. The legacy of the Dutch Golden Age lives on in gilded manses and in the lush paintings of Rembrandt and other Dutch masters that adorn the Rijksmuseum, The Netherlands’ grand repository of art and cultural history. Today, discovering Amsterdam is a pleasure best pursued on foot, following tranquil canals past charming narrow-fronted houses. Linger over classic Dutch pancakes, or take a stroopwafel to go." unquote

by the time we board and go through ship safety drill we won't see any of it. also there are no tours laid on anyway

second day we will be in "KINDERDIJK in the Netherlands
It might look better in the summer realspeed, but watch out for the cycle lanes (deadly!) avoid all the cigarette butts, and don't try and smuggle any of that cannabis stuff through customs. I wasn't too keen on those skanks sat half naked in the windows either.....

I will look forward to your photos though.....
Have a good Cruise though.....
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2020, 06:33 PM

OGF
we are going with Viking cruise line on one of their long ships doing 4 countries in 15 days . Flying with them to Amsterdam first .

DAY 1 Amsterdam, The Netherlands
DAY 2 Kinderdijk, The Netherlands
DAY 3 Cologne, Germany
DAY 4 Koblenz, Germany
DAY 5 Miltenberg, Germany
DAY 6 Würzburg, Germany
DAY 7 Bamberg, Germany
DAY 8 Nuremberg, Germany
DAY 9 Regensburg, Germany
DAY 10 Passau, Germany
DAY 11 Melk, Austria
DAY 12 Vienna, Austria
DAY 13 Vienna, Austria
DAY 14 Budapest, Hungary
DAY 15 Budapest, Hungary

fly back from Budapest

Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top