Join for free
Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2019, 10:33 PM

Re: Affordable homes

There's plenty of housing stock if councils allow so many homeowners to develop large properties into smaller units. They refuse planning permission for such stupid reasons.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2019, 11:06 PM

Build and rent is a sound business proposition, don't know why local councils are so reluctant.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2019, 11:09 PM

Then they can be sold again, sort of a renaissance.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2019, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
There's plenty of housing stock if councils allow so many homeowners to develop large properties into smaller units. They refuse planning permission for such stupid reasons.
Don’t know any of these either .
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2019, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by big ben ->
AT You say there should be no government house aka council houses.
I am too polite to say what I think of that remark.
So justify why tax payers should pay for things that other people should pay for themselves.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2019, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Don’t know any of these either .
If they gave grants and support to help people convert existing housing stock into smaller units you'd not need to build all these new matchboxes. There are plenty of older properties that could be redeveloped. Many older people don't need a 3 up two down. You could convert both to make two flats.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2019, 11:21 AM

I don't know anyone who aspires to live in a council house. Home ownership is what people really want - however, I do understand the need for some people to be housed by the state because they have no means in which to buy or rent a house for reasons such as disability etc.

I remember under the last labour government where, after working my ass off for years to afford a nice 4 bedroom detached house, down the road, other families got one from the council for free - all they need to do is spend 8 hours a day harassing social services, breeding and filling in forms.

Another family around the corner from me had a brand new Range Rover Sport on motability for their son who had "autism".

I think the phrase "I would be better off on the dole" was the one I heard frequently back then.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2019, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
If they gave grants and support to help people convert existing housing stock into smaller units you'd not need to build all these new matchboxes. There are plenty of older properties that could be redeveloped. Many older people don't need a 3 up two down. You could convert both to make two flats.

Well Annie I don’t know where all these large properties are .
I dont consider three bedrooms huge at all.
A three bedroom house would make two very poky flats .
Thats what these ( usually Asian )slum landlords do they make a three bedroom house into horrible cupboard rooms for six or ten people and rent them out .

Why shouldn’t older people have three bedrooms ?
I have three bedrooms
They may still may want their family to visit them and be able to put them up .
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2019, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Build and rent is a sound business proposition, don't know why local councils are so reluctant.
So who puts up the money for local authorities to build though?

Surely their responsibilities should be to provide services to ensure the local infrastructure is maintained and provide services delegated to them such as provision of schooling as one example and that they receive tax payers money from central government to pay for at least in part.

Paying out or committing tax payers money should not used to build houses. Leave that to the private sector.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2019, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Well Annie I don’t know where all these large properties are .
I dont consider three bedrooms huge at all.
A three bedroom house would make two very poky flats .
Thats what these ( usually Asian )slum landlords do they make a three bedroom house into horrible cupboard rooms for six or ten people and rent them out .

Why shouldn’t older people have three bedrooms ?
I have three bedrooms
They may still may want their family to visit them and be able to put them up .

If your house was a council house Muddy and you lived in it on your own, you don't think its right to be forced to move into a 1 bedroom flat in a different area so a "needy" family can have your council house that you have lived in for 20 years ?

Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top