Join for free
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2019, 11:42 PM

Re: De-criminalisation of non-payment of TV Tax?

Originally Posted by JBR ->
That's one opinion. Personally, I watch almost nothing on the BBC channels.

And, yes. Make it a subscription service. They'll get all the interested lefties, of course, but I can't think they'd make enough money to support themselves in the manner they presently do!
I've never seen it as a left wing broadcaster. Surely that was channel 4 and when I was a child it was ITV. My dad, a true blue tory voter would only ever have the Beeb on.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2019, 11:46 PM

Its about time to reintroduce the Dog Licence.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2019, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
I've not seen what I would call a good program from the BBC in years.

The last one that came near was Jamaica Inn but that was spoiled with an awful sound track. We reported to having the sub titles on that's how bad it was.

In reality the best of their output is when they broadcast repeats from literally YEARS ago.
We have just had a discussion on the TV thread about the excellent Elizabeth is missing starring Glenda Jackson. An excellent drama. The 1995 BBC production of Pride and Prejudice is my favourite version (that scene of Colin firth coming out of the lake....), Poldark, Killing Eve. These are my favourites. I always go to their site for recipes.

They also do Peaky Blinders, call the midwife, strictly, the apprentice, masterchef, oh what's the point?! You probably don't care about David Attenborough documentaries anyway!

People don't realise what quality viewing we get for the licence fee.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

15-12-2019, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Its about time to reintroduce the Dog Licence.
for politicians?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2019, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I've never seen it as a left wing broadcaster. Surely that was channel 4 and when I was a child it was ITV. My dad, a true blue tory voter would only ever have the Beeb on.
You haven't watched Question Time, then?

And the BBC News. There was no mention, this morning, of Boris considering making non-payment of the licence fee no longer a criminal matter.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2019, 12:26 AM

We have just had a discussion on the TV thread about the excellent Elizabeth is missing starring Glenda Jackson. An excellent drama. The 1995 BBC production of Pride and Prejudice is my favourite version (that scene of Colin firth coming out of the lake....), Poldark, Killing Eve. These are my favourites. I always go to their site for recipes.

They also do Peaky Blinders, call the midwife, strictly, the apprentice, masterchef, oh what's the point?! You probably don't care about David Attenborough documentaries anyway!

People don't realise what quality viewing we get for the licence fee.
Yes, in fairness they have, in the past, made some half-decent dramas.

It's more about choice, though. If I want to watch a really good programme I'll pay for it.
On the other hand, I detest having to pay for all the rubbish they make most of the time.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

16-12-2019, 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
You haven't watched Question Time, then?

And the BBC News. There was no mention, this morning, of Boris considering making non-payment of the licence fee no longer a criminal matter.

JBR I don't bother with politics shows and don't watch Match of the Day either (although OH says it's quality viewing!). But I do enjoy BBC dramas and would very much miss them if Boris messes with the BBC.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

16-12-2019, 09:37 AM

JBR I don't bother with politics shows and don't watch Match of the Day either (although OH says it's quality viewing!). But I do enjoy BBC dramas and would very much miss them if Boris messes with the BBC.
Match of the Day? What's that?
Is that that thing where 22 grown men kick a bag of air around a field?
Can't see the point myself.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2019, 09:44 AM

With reference to decriminalising an offence, I guess that's one way of reducing crime figures. Wonder what's next? Drugs, burglary, rape, knife attacks?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

16-12-2019, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
With reference to decriminalising an offence, I guess that's one way of reducing crime figures. Wonder what's next? Drugs, burglary, rape, knife attacks?
Cannabis, possibly. I believe it's legal in Holland.
A distinct advantage would be that if it could be purchased legally, it is likely to be the genuine article and not topped up with substandard ingredients. Even with purchase tax (like cigarettes) it would be sold at a reasonable price, not like the illegal stuff that drug dealers try to sell to schoolchildren and then increase the prices once they're hooked!

Of course, burglary is virtually decriminalised already. The police don't have the time or manpower to investigate it and even if burglars are caught, our nice, friendly courts simply tell them they're bad boys and try not to do it again!

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top