Join for free
Kathryn5262
New Member!
Surrey
Kathryn5262 is female 

04-05-2014, 09:11 AM

Varifocals

I was reading all the comments on varifocals which I am coping with presently whilst trying to type this at a downward angle rather than eye level angle! I am short sighted and NEED glasses to see. I bought glasses from vision express 8 years ago so I went back when I could finally afford new ones, as you need a second mortgage for decent thin lenses so as not too long like a Japanese sniper! So after the spiel I got my varifocal glasses, the first time after a day I went back and they re tested me as it was slightly wrong! I now have my new glasses and I have to tilt my head to see the computer or turn my head round like the girl in exorcist and the quote from jerk - funny in a years time will I be able to sue for the displacement of my spine or maybe this may help to stop any lines on my neck or straighten my spine!!!! Come on really this should be easier? I still have to lift my glasses for close things which I believed I would not have to do and it's sell sell sell in many businesses all concentrating on a commission everything seems hard work these days and I still feel like I am getting over a hang over! Might try it later so that I am not continually moaning about re adjusting to these damn expensive can only see out of one particular angle glasses!!!,!,!
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2014, 09:40 AM

Re: Varifocals

Hi Kathryn, I just noticed you had posted this in the Contact Admin section, I have moved it to the health section for you.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2014, 09:55 AM

I have never tried them Kathryn, sounds awful for you, hope someone can advise you
Titus
London
Titus is male  Titus has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2014, 11:07 AM

I have varifocal glasses and I just look down for close work and normal eye level for distance reading. I seams to work ok with my glasses.
I didn't want a pair for distance and another for close work.
It takes a while to get used to, but after a few weeks I got used to them.
They are the only glasses I have ever used.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2014, 02:03 PM

Got a pair once and just found them unusable, luckily the Optician took them back and i went with different specs.
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2014, 03:30 PM

Hi Kathryn and welcome to the forum

I too am short sighted and initially had bi-focal glasses but then changed to varifocal about 15 years ago. I have never had any problem with either bi-focal or varifocal and it sounds as though you need to take your glasses back and get them to check the measurements as these need to be accurate to get the full benefit of your glasses.

Good luck
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2014, 04:43 PM

Hello Kathryn, I have had varifocals for about 20 years now and I couldn't manage without them but they only need to be slightly 'out' and can cause a lot of problems so as myrtle says, maybe a trip back to the opticians just to check they're positioned correctly.
AliceB
Cheshire
AliceB is female  AliceB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2014, 05:39 PM

Hi Kathryn

I too have had varifocals for 20-odd years. The only thing I have to be careful with is coming down stairs - good grip on a handrail for me!

Usage should become easier after a short while - you should be able to look through the top half and then the bottom half without having to move your head.

As Cranberry says, I'd visit the optician again, as something would seem to be out of alignment.

Gwyn

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top