Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2012, 06:45 PM

Gay Marriages.

The government is planning to allow same sex marriages in churches. This has caused a stir in the church which believes that marriage should be between one man and one woman. This is also my view, what do you think ?
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2012, 07:13 PM

Re: Gay Marriages.

The government may allow it but some of the churches won't perform the ceremony. And I think it unfair for churches to be forced into that position.
I wonder if all religious places of worship will be included, or will it be just Christian faiths.
I think this is a very hot potato that the government are juggling. They are trying to force religions to go against a fundamental belief and that is dangerous ground.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2012, 07:33 PM

I'm with you on this one Alan.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2012, 07:37 PM

I'm afraid that I'm a bit old fashioned about this as well....
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2012, 09:23 PM

I think that it should be the free choice of the church whether to marry single sex couples in church or not and there should not be pressure put on them to do so. However, if a church was willing to marry single sex couples I would think the wording of the ceremony would change a bit, with perhaps the couple requesting their own wedding vows, as is now accepted in civil ceremonies.
I can see why some couples would want to marry in a church if they have religious beliefs and I would not wish to deny a couple who are seriously committed. Some churches may feel the same and I would think that eventualy a solution will probably be found to overcome the problems, as long as the couple have committed religious beliefs.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2012, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
I think that it should be the free choice of the church whether to marry single sex couples in church or not and there should not be pressure put on them to do so. However, if a church was willing to marry single sex couples I would think the wording of the ceremony would change a bit, with perhaps the couple requesting their own wedding vows, as is now accepted in civil ceremonies.
I can see why some couples would want to marry in a church if they have religious beliefs and I would not wish to deny a couple who are seriously committed. Some churches may feel the same and I would think that eventualy a solution will probably be found to overcome the problems, as long as the couple have committed religious beliefs.
I pretty much agree with you. I'm slightly confused by the semantics - some people seem to disagree with gay marriage but not with civil partnership. If I understand correctly, they are legally pretty much the same. The issue here seems to be whether or not the ceremony can be carried out in a church, and I think that should be up to the couple and minister/vicar/priest/whatever involved.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2012, 11:04 PM

I can only speak from my own religious perspective.
The sacrament of marriage, within my religion, is the union of a man and woman with the purpose of producing children.
Now the union of a same sex marriage flys in the face of a fundamental belief. There can be no reconciliation of the two.

A blessing in church, to which I have no objection to, is totally different from that of a marriage ceremony. Neither do I object to same sex partnerships, either civil or common.

The complications involved in the decision of government to intervene in religious affairs are innumerable and the governments simplistic approach to it, is at the least naive and the worst disastrous.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2012, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by mesco m ->
I can only speak from my own religious perspective.
The sacrament of marriage, within my religion, is the union of a man and woman with the purpose of producing children.
Now the union of a same sex marriage flys in the face of a fundamental belief. There can be no reconciliation of the two.

A blessing in church, to which I have no objection to, is totally different from that of a marriage ceremony. Neither do I object to same sex partnerships, either civil or common.

The complications involved in the decision of government to intervene in religious affairs are innumerable and the governments simplistic approach to it, is at the least naive and the worst disastrous.
There are many reasons for entering into marriage (church or civil). I don't think the prime reason for the majority is to obtain permission to have sex and procreate. What about the simple need for a partnership and kinship recognised and wholly accepted by the church - why would the church not be comfortable with just that? Many couples go into a marriage and will not have children - some through choice. A fundamental belief that the church must sanction sex and the procreation of children is a form of control used by the churches and religions to influence people throughout history and is common in many cultures. If children were the prime factor for a church wedding then wouldn't older couples who are past child bearing and those who have decided not to have children be in the same situation as single sex couples? Should they not have a church wedding ceremony either?
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

13-06-2012, 09:26 AM

No faith organisation will be forced to marry gays, I don't know what the fuss is about? Homosexuality is as normal as heterosexuality, so gays should be permitted to marry their partners should they wish.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK

13-06-2012, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Willow ->
No faith organisation will be forced to marry gays, I don't know what the fuss is about?
I don't think a government would wish to legislate either Willow and as I said before I think a mutually acceptable solution will be found.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top