Join for free
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2021, 10:53 AM

e-Scooters

I've just been reading responses on Facebook to this GB News report:

https://www.gbnews.uk/gb-views/dan-w...Hr0euiWe7p19nk

As expected, a range of views comparing the good with the bad. Many people recognise the dangers involved, be they due to the riders, the roads/pavements/cycle paths/etc, and of course the government and rules (or lack of them) and the lack of interest on the part of the police.

Mention on Facebook has been made of how there seem to be no problems (or even dangers) in foreign parts, eg: Vienna and Brisbane, and one poster's suggestion was that "the problem isn't to do with the scooters but with the shithole country we've become"!

What do others here think about them?
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2021, 11:35 AM

Re: e-Scooters

do these scooter riders know what legs are for I wonder ?
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2021, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
do these scooter riders know what legs are for I wonder ?
Couldn't one ask the same thing about car drivers.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2021, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Harbal ->
Couldn't one ask the same thing about car drivers.
Yep, some folks think legs are for operating Clutch Brake and Accelerator pedals. These Scooters used in the right context are the best thing to fight urban pollution, but, as usual have been hijacked by an unintended group of citizens.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2021, 11:51 AM

People who use them think it comes with a How to book Titled "How to Be a Rude Bugger and Get Away With it" They zoom up and down the streets, round corners hell for leather, making life a nightmare for pedestrians and mothers with pushchairs. No bells or other warnings just a "mind out the way!!" as they go by. I questioned one lady who was rude, and she justified it by saying she was old and had a tin leg.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2021, 11:53 AM

I think one of the problems is that these are often young children, well below the age required to drive or use a motorcycle, yet they are free to scoot about at relatively high speed endangering not only themselves but others including pedestrians.
Needless to say, the government and other authorities seem uninterested in the possible consequences.

As I intimated, it seems that the young people in other countries exhibit rather more responsibility than some of ours do. Why?
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2021, 11:54 AM

The main problem is in relation to danger to other road users and pedestrians. Maybe having speed restrictions applied to them might help a bit, but I suspect the problem is pretty much insurmountable.

As an aside, putting my usual idea of cars/vehicles having GPS speed restrictors inbuilt to limit their capabilities so that it's impossible to break a speed limit and also potentially reduce the need for speed bumps, I've often wondered why cars don't at least have speed restroctors which prevent them travilling above 70mph.

What is the point of owning a car which has an upper limit of eg 180mph when it should (in theory) never be acceptable to reach this speed?
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2021, 11:56 AM

I think they're bloody dangerous, especially around here, as they tend to be ridden by brain-dead teenage morons who shoot up and down changing from road to pavement at will and bugger anyone in the way. It wouldn't be the first time I've seen a gang of them zipping between cars on a busy road as if in some kind of competition.

These devices aren't cheap, so no doubt their indulging parents (usually dole-claiming types) buy them for their feral offspring. As they are used (illegally) on the roads, they should be liable to some kind of licencing linked to the user and a permanent identification mark on the scooter itself. If the rider of a scooter is stopped by the police, the mark on the scooter can be scanned and linked to the rider. If not registered, the scooter should be removed and be destroyed/crushed. Only under threat of having their precious toy taken from them, will riders begin to act sensibly.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

23-06-2021, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
People who use them think it comes with a How to book Titled "How to Be a Rude Bugger and Get Away With it" They zoom up and down the streets, round corners hell for leather, making life a nightmare for pedestrians and mothers with pushchairs. No bells or other warnings just a "mind out the way!!" as they go by. I questioned one lady who was rude, and she justified it by saying she was old and had a tin leg.
She was riding an e-scooter?
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2021, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
What is the point of owning a car which has an upper limit of eg 180mph when it should (in theory) never be acceptable to reach this speed?

Its been said that cars with this speed capability makes it easier to overtake another vehicle and thus avoid an accident. I think if you are a crazy driver who needs to avoid so many accidents, maybe you shouldn't have a car!

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top