Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2021, 12:59 PM

Trees given Asbo

At 70ft tall this is just vandalism by the council. The one person complaining can hardly have failed to notice them.

https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/new...ision-21104542

Locals in Druetts Close say they are a focal point for residents and are where they all meet for barbeques while their children play together.

That is more likely the reason for the complaint.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2021, 01:04 PM

Re: Trees given Asbo

Disgusting - I hope the people raise merry hell and stop it happening. Surely the person who complained noticed the trees when they bought the house?!
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2021, 01:50 PM

Unbelievable................
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2021, 02:40 PM

We are supposed to be saving the planet, somebody should tell the council, who are breaking their own rules!

Former councillor Chris Coldbreath, 64, branded the situation as "ridiculous".

He said: "I cannot see how the council can class these two massive trees as an antisocial hedge. I have done a lot of research and read the act thoroughly, and the definition in the act is so broad that yes, they can do this.

"But they are really taking the definition at its very broadest. I don't think they are working properly within the law. The law cannot be used to remove or damage trees - and yet they are using the law to try and remove these trees.

"Let’s be realistic, the intention of the act is to stop the spread of 10 foot hedges along borders.

"It wasn't intended to chop down 70 foot trees that have been in an open area for years - trees full of wildlife that is now going to be made homeless. The whole thing is a travesty."

Chris added: "We were originally told that this decision was irreversible - but when you start reading the act, it can't be, because it should never have been made in the first place.

"I am confident that they have not applied the Act in the right way, and that the decision can and should be reversed. Unfortunately, I think the chances of that are very slim."
Some b****y jobsworths who should be sacked.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2021, 03:40 PM

Some should remind them that trees are the lungs of the planet!
bloggsy
Hampshire
bloggsy is male  bloggsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2021, 04:02 PM

maybe a mass demo when the tree fellers arrive
DianneWoollie
Deux Sevres. S W France
DianneWoollie is female  DianneWoollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2021, 09:25 AM

https://factrepublic.com/50-interest...s-about-trees/
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2021, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
We are supposed to be saving the planet, somebody should tell the council, who are breaking their own rules!

Former councillor Chris Coldbreath, 64, branded the situation as "ridiculous".

He said: "I cannot see how the council can class these two massive trees as an antisocial hedge. I have done a lot of research and read the act thoroughly, and the definition in the act is so broad that yes, they can do this.

"But they are really taking the definition at its very broadest. I don't think they are working properly within the law. The law cannot be used to remove or damage trees - and yet they are using the law to try and remove these trees.

"Let’s be realistic, the intention of the act is to stop the spread of 10 foot hedges along borders.

"It wasn't intended to chop down 70 foot trees that have been in an open area for years - trees full of wildlife that is now going to be made homeless. The whole thing is a travesty."

Chris added: "We were originally told that this decision was irreversible - but when you start reading the act, it can't be, because it should never have been made in the first place.

"I am confident that they have not applied the Act in the right way, and that the decision can and should be reversed. Unfortunately, I think the chances of that are very slim."

Some b****y jobsworths who should be sacked.
There may be a way for a temporary reprieve though as there probably will be birds nesting in those trees, see first link below. In the end though the law, often quoted as being 'an ass', will probably be upheld, that's how ridiculous this country appears to have become!

"It is an offence under Section 1 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act of 1981 to intentionally take, damage or destroy the nest of any wild bird while it is in use or being built, or to intentionally kill, injure or take chicks or adults, or intentionally take or destroy any eggs."

https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wi...untryside-act/

https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wi...ges/hedge-law/
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2021, 10:03 AM

Disgusting, I thought trees were no longer to be cut down. Up here you can only do it if the tree poses a danger. Usually a Council takes not a blind bit of notice of someone who complains about something like this. Trust them to act on this daft thing.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK

25-07-2021, 10:51 AM

Thanks for posting.

Trees are fascinating, the way they defend themselves against deer in particular.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top