Join for free
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2020, 10:22 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

We would be lost without you solo.

I think about abstract art in the same way I think about the emperor’s new clothes, once one person of importance says it’s a great work all the rest of the arty farty flock will follow and say it’s wonderful too, while the actually artist who doesn’t know an arse from an elbow, as is often demonstrated in his works, just rakes in the lolly and continues churning out the crap, and good luck to him/her, everybody’s on the fiddle in the art game so why not join them.
Shrobing eh, nice to see new words coming into the language, it certainly annoys the many language purists and spelling checkers that lurk about waiting to pounce. I’m off now to “Shabum” up to the toilet, Shabum is when you slide your under pants down from your bum.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2020, 08:07 AM

How do you like your Cubism? One Lump or Two.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2020, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Need more info on this. Are those cubes anthropomorphic or modern ones
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2020, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
I’m off now to “Shabum” up to the toilet, Shabum is when you slide your under pants down from your bum.
LOL Whats it called when you slide em back up.

Watching Jeremy Vine this morning and his topic on respect. One of the panelist who has a 15 year old daughter said his advice to her was to have respect for herself especially cyber respect for herself as what you put on line stays on line. Good advice which I have always folllowed....but it did make me think.

I am so glad and I guess relieved that I had my teens in a non cyber age as I would definiely still be living down some of the daft and downright dangerous things I got up to. It is bad enough when something from your past pops up at a dinner conversation be it laughable or otherwise so imagine what it must be like now where it is visable for the whole world to view. How many times can you actually die from mortification !!!

I did say Good advice but again what 15 year old ever listened to a parent. I listened and then went right out and did the opposite because I thought I knew better...and I ask myself would I be any different today even if I was given all the similer warnings and advice we got from a parent.!
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2020, 07:14 PM

Yes we were lucky not to have the internet back in our teenage years, I would just shrivel up with embarrassment if all the things I wrote said and done back then was put in front of me now, especially some of the terribly corny love letters I wrote to my childhood sweetheart.
We just couldn’t listen to good advice like never put anything into writing unless you have to.
Of course it’s all so different when you are a lot older, you know that little things mean so little and nobody gives a damn what an old lad says or writes, provided it’s not offending others that is.
I used to keep a small diary until I was 13, then one day in the school yard it fell out of my back pocket and into the hands a loud mouthed bully who proceeded to read it aloud to all his mates, that was probably the worst day of my childhood. I went home crying and told my older brother who went down sharply to yermans house and gave him a few clatters then took the diary back to me, it was burned in the fire and I never kept a diary again.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

10-01-2020, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
I look fondly back on the days when I used to paint Spitty, I, like most serious artists went through all the different periods seeking my true artistic home, I nearly died of depression during my blue period, then it was on to cubism when I was arrested for indecently displaying an exhibition of nude blocks on top of each other, eventually everything was all squared up, they put me in a 8 by 8 square cell in Mountjoy Prison.
Later on my release I tried Rock cocoa but didn’t like it, sooner have Rock Shandy, but surrealism was my true vocation and I was launched into the big time when my finest work, a self portrait “Crick in neck of the artist as a young man” was voted picture of the year by the National Art Gallery of Ireland, it still hangs in the hall there to this day, I haven’t looked back since.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2020, 12:49 PM

Pickled Onions, I love Um. Mrs Spitty made me a Salad with five Pickled Onions on the plate, I soon devoured them, and asked for five more, of course you can Spitty she said, but that's Shallot.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

11-01-2020, 10:07 PM

That’s shallot , she knows her onions does the right honourable Lady Spitfield.

Below is a self portrait I did the morning after I drank half a bottle of Dan Kelly’s poteen at his fathers wake back in 1990, the Irish Health Board wanted to use it in an ad as a deterrent to young folks thinking of taking up drinking.

Of course the experts among you will know that it’s actually a Picasso self portrait, well he can never be accused of vanity can he, sound man Pablo, let it all hang out warts an all, love his Charles Atlas shoulders and someone took a chunk out of his right upper cheek, but where are his ears? who can tell with Picasso, he’s probably sitting on them.
Rumour has it that Picasso became so lazy in his later years that he handed over his studio to his two pet Gibraltar Monkeys Ying and Yang, and that they are responsible for all work done during this final period, but it’s only a rumour.

solo
UK

12-01-2020, 09:36 AM

That portrait resembles David Bowie.... in parts

Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

12-01-2020, 09:34 PM

From Picasso to Michael Angelo whoever floats yer boat, we all have different tastes, personally I prefer the artists who paint a spade as a spade.
I like this one painted in 1633 by Dutch artist Gerrit Dou, you can even see the dirt on this old geezer’s fingernails, and look at the detail that went into the veins on his hand, I particularly noticed that straight away, norra lorra people can paint like that.
Gerrit Dou was a student of Rembrandt for three years. I looked him up and found this little bit, maybe this is that same hand?
“He is said to have spent five days in painting a hand, and his work was so fine that he found it necessary to manufacture his own brushes” Wiki.
Now that’s what you call dedication to one’s art.
I’m a curious old bugger and I’d love to know what the old lad here was writing.
He seems to be very experienced in paring the quill, only a very confident man would have the knife blade so close to his thumb, he was probably a senior civil servant working overtime, gold ring in ear indicates to me he's not a poor man, that book looks like a ledger/record of things or peoples taxes, maybe he's on the fiddle who knows.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top