Join for free
Page 1673 of 1676 « First < 673 1173 1573 1623 1663 1671 1672 1673 1674 1675 > Last »
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2021, 07:20 AM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

Searching for the Bosun is a Petty affair.

spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2021, 12:39 PM

Went on holiday to Crete a couple of years, the Hotel Manager told me I was too old to stay at his Hotel, that was the first and only time I have experienced Aegeanism.
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2021, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Went on holiday to Crete a couple of years, the Hotel Manager told me I was too old to stay at his Hotel, that was the first and only time I have experienced Aegeanism.
*Groan*
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2021, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
That is a Dickotomy.
Gats wot I said giggle I.

Your in a daze?, we’re all in a daze.

Thank you for the daze
Those endless daze, those sacred daze you gave me
I'm thinking of the daze
I won't forget my single daze, believe me.

Yes those were the daze my friend, we thought they’d never end.

Let us leave the confusion and all disillusion behind, Volare, oh oh
Cantare, oh oh oh oh…

Thank you for the jab, that magic jab you gave me
I’m thinking of the lab, wot did the trick
The staff were fab, believe me.

This is what happens when an old man emerges from 16 months of lockdown, he go cray-se, as Manuel used to say to Polly about Mr. Fawlty.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

04-07-2021, 09:53 PM

Good one Jem, that has resulted in Chin Rubbin.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2021, 09:54 PM

Delightful post Fruity, you have great way with words.

Sorry to hear about your friend.

I have to say I have a little backside myself, always had, the wife says I should have a safety seat fitted to the toilet bowl in case I slip down the drain, you know the type of thing they use to train kids on how to use the “Big Pot”.
“No fear of your fat arse slipping down” says I to her.

I think it’s high time they varied the size of toilet bowls instead of having the “one fits all bums” arrangement they have at present, especially now with populations becoming heavier, but that’s a topic for another day.

I see Prince Charlie has revealed his favourite songs and performing artists, dear oh dear, the man has a weird taste in music, he’s nearly as old as me and considering all the decades of great music we enjoyed in that time he picks this list, very strange selection in my humble opinion, but then he’s a strange fellow, talks to plants and trees I believe.

“The full list includes:
• Givin' Up, Givin' In - The Three Degrees
• Don't Rain On My Parade - Barbra Streisand
• La Vie En Rose - Edith Piaf
• Upside Down - Diana Ross
• The Voice - Eimear Quinn
• The Click Song - Miriam Makeba
• You're A Lady - Peter Skellern
• La Mer - Charles Trenet
• Bennachie - Old Blind Dogs
• Lulu's Back In Town - Dick Powell
• They Can't Take That Away From Me - Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers.
• Tros Y Garreg/Crossing the Stone - Catrin Finch
• Tydi a Roddaist - Bryn Terfel
It is not the first time the prince has shared the music he likes: in 2018 he spoke about his love of Leonard Cohen, and he also spoke to Classic FM about his favourite classical pieces last year” BBC news.

I agree with the Prince about No. 11 “They can’t take that away from me” it’s one of those everlasting classics.

Never heard of “The Click Song” maybe Google should adopt it as a sort of signature tune?
“You do a right click here and a left click there, finger on the curser and you shake it all about…”

Don’t mind me, sometimes I soar aloft on the wings of my imagination

This is one of my favourite songs.

Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2021, 09:14 AM

I forgot to thank you Jem for posting the video of Telstar by The Tornadoes. 'Tis a fave chune from my yoof.

I'm not sure if it is still there, but there is/was a place called the Telstar Cafe, a short distance from the satellite tracking station at Goonhilly Downs in Cornwall, close to the most southerly point in England.
Guess what tune was number one on the cafe's juke box?

For many years when I were a lad, my dad took us to stay on a farm nearby, and the cafe was always visited at some point. My brother and I would always rush to play the cafe's signature tune.

I was about thirteen when we first started visiting the are, and continued until I was in my twenties. My parents continued until they could drive no more, and remained friends with the farm owners until they died.

I learned to drive a tractor, even taking one out on the road once I passed my test.
The road up to the downs split the farm in two, and the upper part had lain dormant for many decades. One year the farmer decided to reclaim this part to expand his herd of Guernsey cattle.
One of the problems was that the fields adjacent to the satellite station were pitted with glider traps, a legacy from WW2,
These traps consisted of a series of pits and mounds. Many were crumbling and collapsing, but dropping a tractor wheel in a hole about 2/3rds the size of a grave would result in a long walk back to the farmhouse to get help.
I used to spot for the farmer whilst he was ploughing. He of course was watching the deep furrow using a single blade about a metre deep to turn over the dormant soil, whilst I would look where we were going and call out when I saw a trap.

One day he showed me a series of boundary marker stones along the edge of one field. A new dish had been built, but the marker stones could clearly be seen inside the fenced off area.
The General Post Office as the Telecom company was called at the time had paid a neighbour for the land. He had produced documents going back a few hundred years as proof that he owned it, but our farmer friend had documents going back a few hundred years more, backed up by the line of marker stones, and took the GPO to court.
He got £30 000 in compensation, which was worth a fair bit in those days.

I've never heard of the Click song, but its name makes sense when you listen to it. There are a few others on the Prince's list I've not heard of either, and I'm not keen on many of the ones I do know.

Still, it would be boring if we all had similar tastes in music, and we would never get to hear anything new if it were so.

Edit.

It appears that the Telstar cafe is now a privately owned house.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

06-07-2021, 10:08 PM

A good read Fruity.

About driving tractors, I remember as a boy in the mid fifties and listening to the radio news hearing about tractor accidents all over the country, I suppose being an agricultural country this was not unusual, but there seemed to me to be a hell of a lot of them turning over and the like, then you had farmers letting their children ‘have a go’ at driving then, you’d be arrested for doing that today, but I’d have loved to have had a go meself.

There was another thing I never quite understood in those years of innocence, every now and then after the news bulletin was read out the announcer would say “Now hear is an important public announcement”

“A Doctors car has been broken into in Georges St (or wherever) and his bag containg some very dangerous drugs were stolen, people should not take any of these drugs without their Doctors prescription, any information about this should be reported to your nearest Garda station”

There was I thinking to myself why were so many Doctors cars and surgeries being robbed of medicines? I mean what good is medicine to you if you ain’t sick? besides if you’re sick, you don’t have to rob the stuff, just go to your Doctor and he’ll give you what you need, strange folks these adults.

Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

09-07-2021, 10:07 PM

I have been reading about some famous Siamese twins, very interesting stories.

Here’s a useless tit bit, unless you are a Siamese twin that is.
I read that Siamese twins only have to purchase a single ticket for train travel in some states of the USA.
That’s very generous of the rail company ain’t it, how many living adult Siamese twins are there in the USA?, two, four, possibly six?

That’s like the ’special offer’ from a life insurance company who said to my Uncle Dave that if he took out a policy with them and died of an unknown disease, they will refund his payments and bury him for free.

Well Dave took up the offer, paid the first premium and headed off to central Africa, he could never stay in one place for long our Dave, always moving about.

He managed to get into a fight with three Pygmies who had just killed a monkey for dinner, Dave loved monkeys and became very angry about this, anyway one of the Pygmies bit him on the thigh before the three of them ran off.

He contacted a very rare disease now called Monkosis of which monkey eaters are very likely to become victims of, I won’t go into the symptoms or how it affects you, far too distressing, endless scratching spasms, think of an awkward person doing the Funky Gibbon on hot coals.

Anyway to take a rasher from a side of bacon, he came home just before he died, more from exhaustion that the disease.

When his wife went to take the insurance company up on their offer, they said that Monkosis was not a new disease, indeed it has been around since the time of Christ, and it is recorded that two monkey eating Roman soldiers had succumbed to it, having had two monkey burgers on heir way home from the cruxifixction.

Tarzan also had a bad dose of it in 1938, but survived thanks to a medicinal brew of lizards liver, banana stalks, coconut hair, and elephant urine, all prepared by Jane, it was all documented by the insurance crowd, you’d be surprised how deep they will dig before parting with any cash.

The company refused to pay so his old pals took up a collection to bury him in the local pub, he now rests in peace under the cellar of The Cock and Sparrow in Thomas Street, if you are ever in the vicinity mention my name and the landlord will give you a guided tour of the cellar.

So let that be a lesson to yis all, be wary of these special offers, there’s always a catch.

Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera

09-07-2021, 10:57 PM

Ah yes, special offers.

Pensioners over the age of sixty five may travel on the omnibus for free, provided they are accompanied by both grandparents.

Page 1673 of 1676 « First < 673 1173 1573 1623 1663 1671 1672 1673 1674 1675 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top