Join for free
Page 2 of 44 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2020, 11:34 AM

Re: Up The Garden Path

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Thanks, water first, you may remember when I built the Conservatory, I bought a brand new Belle Mixer which I kept scrupulously clean and sold on for what I paid when the project was done. When I built the Office rather than hire, I bought a real old 110V Belle which has had a hard life but only cost £30.00 (if I remember right), well, the inside of the drum is far from pristine, there are no large lumps of set concrete inside but, it does not have the smooth original metal finish, could this be making matters worse?
It doesn't help matters but as long as the inside of the drum is kept wet then it shouldn't stick too much, and make sure the drum is washed out well if the mixer has to stand a long while between mixes. Regarding laying the slabs, if you are having to bash the slabs down a lot with the mallet then you need less mortar!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2020, 11:54 AM

I'm onto the last two slabs on the long run now Barry, just the platform in front of the Shed to do, the bed of Mortar is so accurate before the slab goes on makes it difficult for the Mortar to compress, I'm learning to get more lackadaisical now I'm nearly finished.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2020, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
I'm onto the last two slabs on the long run now Barry, just the platform in front of the Shed to do, the bed of Mortar is so accurate before the slab goes on makes it difficult for the Mortar to compress, I'm learning to get more lackadaisical now I'm nearly finished.
We always used a spread of mortar around the outer four inches or so of the slab and and a large dab in the centre, which allows an empty space for the mortar to squeeze sideways when the slab is placed on top. This also gives much better control of laying to line or level.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2020, 12:36 PM

Last two in, I counted a run of 26 slabs (double width = 52) at 450mm each which is just short of 12 metres. the concrete base was put in about three years ago, so we have a path of sorts, anyway, the last slab has lined up millimetre perfect where the base widens in front of the shed, at this rate, the Garden will be done before lockdown is lifted.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts

06-05-2020, 02:11 PM

Well done Spitty, it's a tough old job however you do it, but it's a proper job you've done in the end
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2020, 02:57 PM

Nice job Spitfire. Looking good.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2020, 05:49 PM

It's good to see you are on the straight and narrow.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

10-05-2020, 03:12 PM

Just done my first photo without Daughters input, the patio for Summers previous request.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2020, 03:30 PM

Looks good Spitty.

You can come and do mine next.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2020, 03:39 PM

Great work Spitty

Page 2 of 44 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top