Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2020, 02:39 PM

Posting for Christmas

Have put Christmas cards in the post, some boxes have reduced collection, except for one marked NHS Prioritised.

Ordered some charity cards in October, no show yet, online info on charity website said post office have problems to due Covid.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2020, 03:00 PM

Re: Posting for Christmas

Royal Mail deliveries here have always been variable but it has been even worse lately, though I can understand that there will inevitably be problems if staff go down with this virus.

What I don't understand is how (just for example) a two-foot-square by six inch box sent using Royal Mail can arrive the next day but a first class letter can take almost a week when both originate within a very few miles of each other, as happened here last week?

A bit of delay yes I can understand, but a week - and when the huge majority of sorting is done by machine right up to the postie picking it up for delivery too - is a bit much IMHO.

I think you've got the right idea.
If you're going to be using Royal Mail, get it done early.
Though strangely enough the bills seem to have no problem arriving in good time.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2020, 11:43 AM

Anything of value it is always best to pay for recorded delivery. When local letters take longer to arrive than those coming nationally or from abroad it does seem odd. Yet the bills always arrive on time, as you say.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2020, 03:00 PM

I tend to use Moonpig quite a lot now for individual cards at least. No fuss.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2020, 06:40 PM

I have received 6 Christmas cards already so some people are posting extra early.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2020, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
I have received 6 Christmas cards already so some people are posting extra early.
There are certain people that always send their's first. Annoying isn't it.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2020, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
There are certain people that always send their's first. Annoying isn't it.
Nooo ..... it’s nice to know they are still alive and kicking
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2020, 08:23 PM

Having telephoned to let the supplier know that my raspberry canes had not arrived 5 days after dispatch (they arrived the next day) I was told that the Royal Mail is very slow again like they were in the spring due to distancing rules and staff absences caused by illness.

I guess it will get worse as shops open and black Friday deliveries get going .

As I had to go out to the doctors surgery yesterday I thought while I was out I would post the one and only parcel I need to send containing Christmas presents. The recipient can always put it on one side till Christmas .

Cards I will post in the village post box the first week in December .
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2020, 11:07 PM

I usually send my cards second week in December so I can put Christmas stamps on them ,which i like .The Post Office doesn"t seem to sell them before .
Perhaps they are surprised Christmas comes every year ,who knows .

Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK

29-11-2020, 06:32 PM

Got Christmas stamps with the cards, maybe if you don't ask you get normal stamps.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top