Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2021, 07:09 PM

Re: Omelettes

Egg goes well with potato & cheese, onion too.
Teacup
UK
Teacup is female 

03-06-2021, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
Egg goes well with potato & cheese, onion too.
Yes, I will probably add some parmesan, and chives. I bought some dried chives, as I was sick of them going over.
paula
scotland
paula is female  paula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2021, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
Fry pan here too, easy peasy and no need for a gadget..
same here Barry, cooked in the pan and finnished off under the grill..
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2021, 07:46 PM

Omelettes are dead easy to make in an egg pan. (the kind with sloping sides).

All you need is a well seasoned egg pan, and a heat proof rubber spatula, and just a little bit of practice.

Heat egg pan just until it is hot enough to instantly melt butter.

Immediately add beaten eggs. As the sides start to set, use the rubber spatula to move edges toward the center of pan. keep doing this until eggs are nearly done.

Add your choice of ingredients and flip one side of omelette over the top of the other side, covering the ingredients. Cook for a few seconds more and flip the entire omelette over. Side omelette on to plate.

Like anything else, it just takes a bit of practice and a good egg pan (NEVER A FRYING PAN).

Tip one key to success is having an egg pan that is not scratched or that has even a tiny bit of dried, stuck on egg. So wash pan but do not scrub it with abrasive scrubber.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	OIP1VNMNUYZ.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	15771   Click image for larger version

Name:	Matfer_113724_ELVEO_HIGH_TEMPERATURE_RUBBER_SPATULA_grande.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	15772  
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2021, 07:53 PM

Wait...there is such a thing as an egg pan?? I never knew! I just use a regular frying pan

Edited to say I just checked it...yes I do have one that I use for poached eggs. I thought you meant something extra special, BM, because I have used that one for frying things in too...
Teacup
UK
Teacup is female 

03-06-2021, 07:59 PM

I have an egg poacher too, great things!
Bathsheba
Devon, UK
Bathsheba is female  Bathsheba has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2021, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
Like anything else, it just takes a bit of practice and a good egg pan (NEVER A FRYING PAN)
So what is the difference between an egg pan and a frying pan? That picture you've posted of an egg pan looks very like a frying pan to me
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2021, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by Bathsheba ->
So what is the difference between an egg pan and a frying pan? That picture you've posted of an egg pan looks very like a frying pan to me
Well, cooks refer to an egg pan when it is small enough for an omelette AND it has very SLOPING SIDES.

Usually, such a pan is referred to as a "saute pan". No doubt you have seen videos of cooks shaking the pan and flipping the food. That is a saute pan.

On the other hand, a frying pan has nearly vertical sides. A cast iron pan is a frying pan.

An egg pan is designed that way so the cook can flip eggs without the use of any implement.

Photos of frying pans. Notice the steep sides.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	R86926957459c715b9fc292be1cb5aeeb.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	15778   Click image for larger version

Name:	1223018.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	15779  
bakerman
Mexico

03-06-2021, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
Wait...there is such a thing as an egg pan?? I never knew! I just use a regular frying pan

Edited to say I just checked it...yes I do have one that I use for poached eggs. I thought you meant something extra special, BM, because I have used that one for frying things in too...
Some cooks may differ from me but I never, never use my egg pan for any other purpose.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2021, 11:32 PM

I'm an omelette maker. I can make perfect omelettes but that's because I have the perfect omelette pan. It's all down to having the right equipment and being very well organised!

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top