Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2021, 07:17 PM

Re: Any Advice on a Failing Windows Laptop Battery?

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
How long have you had this laptop?

Maybe there should be a free replacement if it's only been with you for a short while.

Even refurbished often have warranty.

Otherwise, a couple of screws on the laptop bottom and it , probably, just pushes in.
Its a refurbished one that I have had for about 2 1/2 years, Ted. No gaurantee anymore. I'm happy to buy a new battery for it - rather that than fork out for a new laptop
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2021, 07:28 PM

I'm on my third desktop computer and third laptop since I started interneting in '98

I replaced the battery on both the other two lappies with cheap generics no problem.

But with my current one (Lenovo) I've found it's near impossible and therefore no one's supplying cheap copies.

This is the last Lenovo I'll ever buy. But wait! the battery has now switched modes and miraculously behaving like a baby again.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2021, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
Its a refurbished one that I have had for about 2 1/2 years, Ted. No gaurantee anymore. I'm happy to buy a new battery for it - rather that than fork out for a new laptop
I'd never buy a S/H computer. They are so cheap new.

What make & model Pixie?
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2021, 07:59 PM

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4300U CPU @ 1.90GHz 2.50 GHz
Installed RAM 8.00 GB (7.90 GB usable)
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Edition Windows 10 Pro

HP is the model of it
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK

25-06-2021, 08:18 PM

That's a lot of detail, sounds the business.

But I'm just interested in make & model, maybe screen size, what it looks like underneath. And maybe I could find out if a replacement battery is an option.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK

25-06-2021, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
That's a lot of detail, sounds the business.

But I'm just interested in make & model, maybe screen size, what it looks like underneath. And maybe I could find out if a replacement battery is an option.
Yes its a decent laptop apart from the battery.

HP EliteBook 840 G1

13 inch screen

Does that help?

Underneath there is a panel with a switch thing that I assume can be removed for access? All other screws are covered up and sealed.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2021, 09:11 PM

Perhaps these YouTube videos might be useful to you in changing the battery. The first one makes it look very easy, in fact 30 seconds to change the battery:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2urO3Oycxn8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-uBKiVhxl0
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2021, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
Yes its a decent laptop apart from the battery.

HP EliteBook 840 G1

13 inch screen

Does that help?

Underneath there is a panel with a switch thing that I assume can be removed for access? All other screws are covered up and sealed.
Yep, just slide the switch and the battery will lift out. On my old laptop, if ever it started doing anything weird, I would just pull the battery out and restart it. Not the normal thing to do but it worked every time, so don't worry about changing the battery, you just need the correct one.

Oops sorry, just realised that you said it was sealed. I think my old lap top must have been a lot older and easier to work on.

In fact, I have just looked under my new lap top and lo and behold, no easy battery access..... what a surprise.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK

25-06-2021, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Perhaps these YouTube videos might be useful to you in changing the battery. The first one makes it look very easy, in fact 30 seconds to change the battery:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2urO3Oycxn8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-uBKiVhxl0
Baz, the second one is exactly what I need! Thank you so much I just need to get a new battery now!
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK

25-06-2021, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Yep, just slide the switch and the battery will lift out. On my old laptop, if ever it started doing anything weird, I would just pull the battery out and restart it. Not the normal thing to do but it worked every time, so don't worry about changing the battery, you just need the correct one.

Oops sorry, just realised that you said it was sealed. I think my old lap top must have been a lot older and easier to work on.

In fact, I have just looked under my new lap top and lo and behold, no easy battery access..... what a surprise.

Oooh! Well I now know how to access my battery, so its ok. But its bad news for you, LD if you have a new laptop and can't even fix it. Its probably so you have to take it to a "certified tech expert" and pay £92837. 78 to get a new battery.....

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top