Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2021, 12:04 PM

Re: Massive Password Leak!

It might become obvious if an e-mail password had been obtained or cracked because people would start getting e-mails from the cracker pretending to be you. Not that e-mail passwords aren't cracked but I think these detector sites can't determine if they have been.

I think what they can find is if an e-mail address has ended up with people/businesses that you didn't give it to and let you know about that. They might also gather the e-mail address typed into the search (more spam?).

For those deciding to use this detector, if it does come up with a breached data message, it might be best to change the password anyway because we should probably all do that once in a while. Of course, there is no way the site is going to know what the new password is so no danger in that respect, even if it is thought they could have detected that the original password had been exposed.

I have used the detector site and put in an email address that I know has been sold or passed to other businesses. It tells me data has been leaked. I changed the password for the account and tried the email address again. Still tells me the account is bad. This kind of reinforces the belief that only the email address and not the password has been exposed.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2021, 12:37 PM

[QUOTE=mart;2114681. Still tells me the account is bad. This kind of reinforces the belief that only the email address and not the password has been exposed.[/QUOTE]

Or it was both, Mart!
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2021, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Or it was both, Mart!
That's true Ted.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2021, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Bathsheba ->
The Cybernews article is more than 4 months old.
Still meaningful, though?
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2021, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Still meaningful, though?
I'll say so, even if its just a reminder to change passwords and be on the lookout for these things.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top