Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Bathsheba
Devon, UK
Bathsheba is female  Bathsheba has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2021, 05:34 PM

Rope bowls - my latest hobby!

Something I've wanted to try for a long time, but kept thinking it would be too tricky. Well I made my first one last Friday, and have done a few since, and guess what? It's really rather easy. So here are some of the ones I've made so far:

Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2021, 05:42 PM

Re: Rope bowls - my latest hobby!

Oh Sheba!! They are wonderful! How did you get the pattern inside? Is it a stamp or did you paint it? So pretty! The fabric one is lovely too!
Bathsheba
Devon, UK
Bathsheba is female  Bathsheba has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2021, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
Oh Sheba!! They are wonderful! How did you get the pattern inside? Is it a stamp or did you paint it? So pretty! The fabric one is lovely too!

Thanks Pixie . I have an embroidery machine and used that - have to say it would never have occurred to me that it's possible, but I'd joined a Facebook group for rope bowls and got the idea from there and then searched for tutorials. I am hooked on this style now!

ETA: the two embroidered ones will be end of year gifts for my granddaughter to give her teacher and teaching assistant. Her teacher is apparently an avid collector of all things penguin, and her TA loves cats, hence the designs
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2021, 05:54 PM

Oh I say, they look rather nice. I can see them dotted in a bathroom with knick knacks in .... or pot pourri or tumbled gemstones.
You could make matching coasters and placemats.
Bathsheba
Devon, UK

08-07-2021, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Oh I say, they look rather nice. I can see them dotted in a bathroom with knick knacks in .... or pot pourri or tumbled gemstones.
You could make matching coasters and placemats.
Thanks Morticia. Coasters and placemats are on my list of things to make with this technique! I think they'd make rather nice gifts, don't you? Not sure I'd use pot pourri in them, though, because it would probably discolour the bowls. It would look very pretty in them though, so it's tempting!
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2021, 06:24 PM

Yes, make coasters and things - BUT, how do you clean them? I read ages ago that its just a wipe down with a damp cloth...not to wash them because they become misshapen with the hot water.
Bathsheba
Devon, UK

08-07-2021, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
Yes, make coasters and things - BUT, how do you clean them? I read ages ago that its just a wipe down with a damp cloth...not to wash them because they become misshapen with the hot water.
Yes, I've heard that too. It could be a problem, couldn't it? You know, a coffee cup dribbles down onto the coaster, or a dribble of red wine from a glass

I think I'll make some samples and see if they are sponge cleanable....
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK

08-07-2021, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Bathsheba ->
Yes, I've heard that too. It could be a problem, couldn't it? You know, a coffee cup dribbles down onto the coaster, or a dribble of red wine from a glass

I think I'll make some samples and see if they are sponge cleanable....
Yes I'm sure there is a way without resorting to drastic measures that would change the aesthetic
(I love that word!)
Bathsheba
Devon, UK

08-07-2021, 06:31 PM

Yes, it's a great word!
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2021, 07:43 PM

You've got me wondering, with mentioning keeping them clean.

I wonder if you could spray some kind of matt sealant on them. Not varnish.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top