Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2020, 11:11 PM

Re: Estranged family and Christmas

Estrangement can happen with family folks you see weekly, when a dynamic changes.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2020, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
As for your Will dilemma, it would be wrong of me to try and and advise as no one but you know the story nor how you feel, but may I just suggest you don't do anything until you are sure beyond any doubt.
It's a helluva step.
It is, and not to be done on a whim nor lightly.

Mrs Dex has had some worrying health scares over the last couple of years, which I've relayed to him via the fiance's mother. He has shown no interest nor concern. This rankles with me somewhat.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2020, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
It is, and not to be done on a whim nor lightly.

Mrs Dex has had some worrying health scares over the last couple of years, which I've relayed to him via the fiance's mother. He has shown no interest nor concern. This rankles with me somewhat.

Yes, I can understand that.
It would hurt me too.
Right Now
upstate New York US
Right Now is female  Right Now has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2020, 01:18 AM

Without details, our family fell apart about four years ago. It is tough, but as long as the children think they are happy with the spouse or significant other, I can back off. My grandson is the one who makes the effort to check in.
It's sad, but you can't make everyone happy all of the time. It isn't any harder at holiday time than any other day.
Just do the best you can with the circumstances.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2020, 01:54 AM

It is so sad to read about people estranged from their children for whatever reason. I have not been in that position myself but I can imagine the heartache it must cause.

I am separated from my family in the UK, Asia and Sweden by distance so have rarely seen their children growing up which I regret but it is not because of estrangement. Over the years some of my cousins, nieces and nephews have visited Australia and I have visited them which is lovely but not quite the same as watching them grow up however it is much better than nothing.

Funnily enough my kids have better communications with these relatives than me via social media and have met and even stayed with some during their travels over the years. There are several that they communicate with but have never actually met which is a very modern phenomenon but wonderful that they stay in touch none the less.

There will be lots of International calls, WhatsApping and Facetime going on over Christmas between family at my house and these relatives all over the globe you can be sure of that!

My condolences and sympathy goes to those on here who are separated from their children and grandchildren because of family arguments and I hope they can be resolved. As I say it is very sad indeed.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2020, 02:22 AM

Thanks Bruce. Rarely a day passes without us thinking of our son and hoping he's ok. But what can one do? Nothing but wait.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2020, 06:29 AM

I think this Covid thing may have fractured many families. We have dealt with it reasonably well but I must admit it is starting to get to me a bit....contact with your kids is OK for a while via technology and they do contact me numerous times every day but its not the same as a hug and I have missed out so much with my grandkids....honest I could cry writing this.....still nearly over now.

I can't imagine never seeing them again...sorry for those who are estranged for whatever reason.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2020, 09:30 AM

When we are really sad, that a relationship has broken down, maybe it's time to take the lead (even for the umpteenth time) and have a go at fixing it?

It might just work.

Doing nothing is, surely, not an option.

Right Now
upstate New York US
Right Now is female  Right Now has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2020, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
When we are really sad, that a relationship has broken down, maybe it's time to take the lead (even for the umpteenth time) and have a go at fixing it?

It might just work.

Doing nothing is, surely, not an option.

I agree, Tedc. At times, more than a band- aid is needed for the wound to heal.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top