Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2017, 12:01 PM

Oven

Is there an Electrician on here? I am having trouble getting a straight answer.
I have removed the Electric Oven at the MILs (she has bought a new one). It is a single built under appliance, and was very surprised to find it wasn't "Hard Wired" but connected via a standard 13 amp plug with a 13 amp fuse.
The oven that came out had a connected load of 2.8Kw, the new one has a connected load of 2.9Kw, the supply being protected by a dedicated 32amp breaker, and controlled by a wall mounted cooker switch.
The documentation does not have any electrical installation instructions, but states the cable must be Type H05 V V-F or a higher rating and, there must be an all-pin isolating switch with at least 3 mm contact gap, or the appliance must be connected using a plug with an earthing contact
Do I take it they are referring to a 13 amp plug, as per the original, it seems 13 amp protection is Ok up to 3Kw load?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2017, 12:04 PM

Re: Oven

BTW, the property is only about 10 years old, so, this method of installation was acceptable then.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2017, 12:09 PM

Anything under 3kW may be plugged in. The supply cable to the oven should ideally be heatproof the same as used on immersion heaters and no less than 1.75mm (CSA)
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

26-09-2017, 12:15 PM

Thanks Judd, the only problem now is, the is no indication on the new appliance (Neff), which cover has to be removed to connect the cable to the appliance. What I have noticed is, there is an earth symbol embossed into the rear of the top casing, is there a need to supply separate earth bonding?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

26-09-2017, 12:16 PM

No info on the Net either.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2017, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Thanks Judd, the only problem now is, the is no indication on the new appliance (Neff), which cover has to be removed to connect the cable to the appliance. What I have noticed is, there is an earth symbol embossed into the rear of the top casing, is there a need to supply separate earth bonding?

Usually there is a plastic or metal plate at the lower back that needs to be removed to gain access to the connections but sometimes the whole back may need to be removed. In this scenario the flex is fed in from the bottom of the oven through a bushed hole and secured with a cable clamp. Look out for some small copper links to connect some terminals together if these aren't in situ already.

The other type looks like a small plastic box - this is hinged and secured with a couple of ratchets which need to be released with a small screwdriver (an absolute pain). This box will have a cable clamp within it. Once again, look for the copper links.

No need to have separate earth bonding.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

26-09-2017, 02:10 PM

Thanks again, I'm down there tomorrow, I'll have a close look.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

30-09-2017, 09:40 AM

Yep found it, got the retailer to contact their fitting contractor, 2.5mm heat resistant flex (3 metres) and a heavy duty 13 amp plug, cost £9.00 for the two. Was quite a job arranging the heavy duty cables inside the plug, but all is well, the connection to the appliance should be easier.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

30-09-2017, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Usually there is a plastic or metal plate at the lower back that needs to be removed to gain access to the connections but sometimes the whole back may need to be removed. In this scenario the flex is fed in from the bottom of the oven through a bushed hole and secured with a cable clamp. Look out for some small copper links to connect some terminals together if these aren't in situ already.

The other type looks like a small plastic box - this is hinged and secured with a couple of ratchets which need to be released with a small screwdriver (an absolute pain). This box will have a cable clamp within it. Once again, look for the copper links.

No need to have separate earth bonding.
What there was Judd was a plastic tube, with an internal diameter of about 10mm, it looked like a plumbing fitting at first glance, half way down it's length is a threaded screw,I assume is the flex is passed through this, and the screw tightened, to form a clamp.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2017, 10:05 AM

Suggest you take a photo of the back of the oven so we can see.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top