Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
angieh
Hampshire, UK
angieh is female  angieh has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2009, 12:35 PM

Flutterby Butterfly!

I've been watching the butterflies in our garden this year - we seem to have more than I've seen for a long time.

Painted Lady
Red Admiral
Peacock
Comma
Orange Tip
Meadow Brown
Small White
Large White
Small Tortoiseshell (this morning)

I have not seen any Holly Blue this year - seen in previous years. We have both Holly and Ivy growing in the garden, so usually see a few.

Are you happy Butterfly watchers, and if so, what species have you seen this season???
Vicki
Croydon, Surrey
Vicki is female 

09-08-2009, 01:05 PM

Re: Flutterby Butterfly!

I am a total numpty on recognising butterflies, but we had one come in the house the other night and it was a very dark blue - almost black. I thought it was a month, but OH said no, def a butterfly.

We encouraged it back outside (Len would have eaten it otherwise) to safety

angieh
Hampshire, UK
angieh is female  angieh has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2009, 01:31 PM

How exciting Vicki - I wonder if it was a Purple Hairstreak? The web site that this image comes from looks like a good way to identify butterflies if you are interested.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2009, 02:10 PM

I'm not, but would love to photograph some!

Angieh - why not get yourself a camera and then you can combine two hobbies?
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2009, 04:17 PM

The decrease of butterflies here in Washington is noticeable; I was a collector in my early days and have not seen probably 90% of formerly common species. This year all I've seen are Cabbage Whites, Tiger Swallowtails, Monarchs and Spotted Skippers. We have some species in common: the Peacock, Red Admiral and Painted Lady, also the Mourning Cloak ... think you call that the Camberwell Beauty?

Azz, photographing butterflies is even harder than photographing cats!
angieh
Hampshire, UK

09-08-2009, 08:08 PM

I'm sure cats stay still longer than butterflies!

I had to look up the Camberwell Beauty DM as I have never seen one -

"The Camberwell Beauty is a scarce and irregular migrant to Britain. Larger numbers arrive in some years from western Europe, with most records being from eastern counties including Scotland. It is a mostly woodland butterfly where its larvae feed on a range of tree species, especially willows (Salix spp.)."
Nippy
South Devon
Nippy is female  Nippy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2009, 08:16 PM

We have had any amount of Painted Ladies this year, plus cabbage whites, Red Admiral and Peacock. I'm going to take more notice of whats around tomorrow.

Angie, have you had any Hummingbird Hawk moths?
They are amazing, I have got a photo somewhere that I took I will have to find it and post it here.
angieh
Hampshire, UK

09-08-2009, 08:17 PM

Not this year Nippy, but a few years ago I remember seeing a couple. They really are amazing.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2009, 08:23 PM

Nippy we have hummingbird hawk moths here too; they are amazing, aren't they? Angie, only time I've ever seen Mourning Cloaks was in the nearby woods; definitely a woodland butterfly. And they hibernate over Winter and are sometimes seen during a warm spell like the January thaw. Kind of eerie but nice seeing a butterfly in the dead of Winter!
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA

13-08-2009, 03:29 AM

Here's a pic of the Mourning Cloak (Camberwell Beauty) . it's large and really stunning.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top