Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2014, 11:04 PM

Re: Making Your Own Clothes

Hi Val .... I shorten tshirts ... I use a zig zag stitch or two rows of straight stitches slightly apart .... I don't do a "double" turn-up as it is too bulky and none have ever frayed.

For instance if I want 2" off I measure 2" from the bottom and pin all round ... sew a single hem of 1/2" .... then trim off the excess as close to the stitching as possible. This is easier than cutting before you sew.

Give it a try on an old tshirt
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2014, 04:47 AM

I use to be a machinist ,I made dressing gowns for M&S,night gowns too
And in another job I made M&S jumpers ,I was a skilled Machinist for 6 years,.I did make my own Skirts ,this was in the 60s and 70s.
I have a Overlock machine and Lockstitch,I very rarely use them ,i bought them with the intention of setting up a business but ,i don't have the patience or Eyesight for it now. They are just collecting dust,!
valice
Chatterbox
Wirral UK
valice is female  valice has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2014, 10:48 AM

Thank you myrtle, I don't have zig zag on my machine. Think I have always been more concerned with the stretchy fabric. I have turned up trouser hems, although I seldom wear trousers.

We used to do dressmaking at school, the teacher described me as slow but sure. I also used to make clothes for me and the boys when we lived in Nairobi,

This is a picture of those times, made all the outfits in photo.

Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2014, 11:19 AM

You can do it without a zig zag, two rows of stitching, the zig zag is used between those rows to join them together. So you can leave it out but it may not be as strong.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2014, 12:21 PM

I'd love to be able to make my own clothes. I'm hopeless at sewing. What a great talent it is.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top