Join for free
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2014, 12:00 AM

Re: Call To Arms England Supporters Thread.

Half time 1-1
I am impressed with England but I get the feelin we haven't seen the Italians in top gear yet. But you never know England may well surprise me.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2014, 01:06 AM

Final score England 1 Italy 2

England had their chances but didn't follow them up....
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2014, 02:18 AM

not a good sign for things to come
longfellow
Chatterbox
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2014, 08:47 AM

England played well whilst Sturridge/Wellbeck and Sterling where allowed to roam about the field creating mayhem. Rooney for me has seen his better days and now is slipping slowly downwards. Impressed with Henderson although I thought he was one of 2 weakness's before the game. Johnson I feel its time he stepped down and Jon Flanagan was allowed to play. Flanagan showed all last season at Pool that he is ready to take over that rightback position also plays down the left as well when asked and I feel if RH is getting rid of the old guard then this is the move.
England run out of ideas when Sterling went down with cramp and Wellbeck and Sturridge were replaced. The replacements never really got into the game.
Italy were their usual selves when it comes to the WC they only do enough to win the early games and save their best for the later stages when they will meet obviously much stronger opposition.
Start packing up lads Englands coming home.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2014, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by longfellow ->
England played well whilst Sturridge/Wellbeck and Sterling where allowed to roam about the field creating mayhem. Rooney for me has seen his better days and now is slipping slowly downwards. Impressed with Henderson although I thought he was one of 2 weakness's before the game. Johnson I feel its time he stepped down and Jon Flanagan was allowed to play. Flanagan showed all last season at Pool that he is ready to take over that rightback position also plays down the left as well when asked and I feel if RH is getting rid of the old guard then this is the move.
England run out of ideas when Sterling went down with cramp and Wellbeck and Sturridge were replaced. The replacements never really got into the game.
Italy were their usual selves when it comes to the WC they only do enough to win the early games and save their best for the later stages when they will meet obviously much stronger opposition.
Start packing up lads Englands coming home.
I agree about Rooney, time he hung his boots up.
I thought they played well, I am of the opinion that the heat was a bit too much for them, yes I know it is for the Italians but they seem to cope with it better.
All is not lost, we could thump the Uruguayans the way the played yesterday, and with luck we could scrape home with Costa Rica, in the immortal words of Martin Luther King "I have a dream" if they can get over the heat they make creep in.
They will be a very good team for the next world cup.
But I am hoping I am still here to see it.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2014, 09:06 AM

I don't know whether you got fed up with Phil Neville, putting his spoke in, but he spoilt it for me.
longfellow
Chatterbox

15-06-2014, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Wrinkly ->
I don't know whether you got fed up with Phil Neville, putting his spoke in, but he spoilt it for me.
Yep Neville and his Manchurian accent and slow awkward speech don't help things. After all he has been doing it now for sometime so you would think he would be more fluent. Saying that my young nephew has just started on the panel with Lineker and Shearer he seems a little awkward at present but he has the cameras in his face to contend with. Once he gets used to them I suppose he will settle down to be a good pundit with his SE London accent.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2014, 10:08 AM

I didn't watch the game but I don't follow the World Cup much anyway.

I understand that they were beaten but against Italy so early in this competition it's hardly surprising.

Looking at the Stats though is interesting: -

England had 50% more shots on the goal with 62% more on target than Italy; 9 corners as opposed to Italy's 2 and NO offsides, unlike Italy - 7 times, so to me that isn't a bad performance.

Trouble is will they get over this enough? stevmk2
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2014, 11:12 AM

Although they lost yesterday, England's performance was little short of magnificent! Every player gave everything for their country - fantastic game! England had by far the better of the first half, with the opposition coming back strongly in the third quarter only for England to rally strongly at the end. Can't wait until next week's Third Test and next year's World Cup - Oh yeah! I'm talking about real sport - Rugby Union.

MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2014, 11:26 AM

If we must talk about "the other game" - It was business as usual for the inept England team last night. Headless chickens - at times it looked like a team of junior school kids against a professional team. Rooney was set up to fail by playing him out of position with a useless left back (I've never seen Baines play so badly - at least at United Rooney had the wonderful Evra to back him up when he was asked to play on the left. Everyone raves about Stirling, but he just ran around in circles aimlessly. Sturridge was a waste of time and Lallana - really???? The great Gerrard might as well not have been on the pitch. These guys should train for a day with the Rugby team - they might learn something about teamwork, passion and fitness!

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top