Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2015, 10:22 PM

Re: 'Retrospect' By Arthur Conan Doyle

Originally Posted by Jem ->
Yes Anita, not far from where I live, an area called Phibsborough and the pub was situated on a busy corner aptly named “Doyles Corner”, no relation to Arthur but a very old pub originally owned by a John Doyle. The building is still there and it’s still a pub, but it’s not the same as it was, no more traditional music and craic, mainly dinners and the like.

Yes it's a shame that the traditional pubs are no more really, proper pubs where it was a meeting place rather than an eating place.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2015, 07:36 AM

yes but "traditional pubs" practiced segregation - women in the snug and man in the main bar remember Coronation Street pub?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2015, 08:09 AM

I liked Transitional Pubs, post the segregation era, and pre the Eatery, full of Birds.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2015, 09:29 AM

Group names can be charming, viz "Charm " of Goldfinches "Parliament " of Owls.

My favourite quote , whilst on the subject of Parliament, was devised by Lord Stockton (Harold MacMillan) . At a reception hosted by the Iron Lady & having noticed 5 former PM's present coined the term for a group of ex PM's as....
A "Lack of Principles"

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top