Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2016, 10:55 AM

My New Designs

Been hard at it redesigning my Gardening site (whilst posting on here - multi-tasking). A design I will carry over to other sites I have. Mobile friendly - I hope!

Pretty basic but gets the job done I think. I can always embellish at a later date.

Looking good or not?

Front ...
http://gardens4ume.club/

An Internal Shop ...
http://gardens4ume.club/lawnmowers/

Offers Section ...
http://gardens4ume.club/vouchercodes.php
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2016, 10:58 AM

Re: My New Designs

Hardly a gardening site Mark, just another shopping portal surely?
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2016, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
Hardly a gardening site Mark, just another shopping portal surely?
Yeah, for gardening equipment .

Low maintenance ...
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2016, 11:10 AM

Fair play to you Mark, easy to use and practical, good luck with them.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2016, 04:12 PM

Website looks to have all the basic components, drop down header bars, filter options etc.

Main criticism for me would be that the primary info at the top of the screens is too bare, too white and lacks formality. You need a "Gardens4ume" logo imo and you need some strong colours for the headings to create a presence. The colours would also properly separate the top part of the screen from the bottom. Take a look at the competition sites and see how they compare. Aside from that looks like you've done a lot of ground work with all the content. Presume it's an off-the-shelf portal type thing, but I know it takes tons of effort to fill in all the data and pictures and links.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK

27-01-2016, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Website looks to have all the basic components, drop down header bars, filter options etc.

Main criticism for me would be that the primary info at the top of the screens is too bare, too white and lacks formality. You need a "Gardens4ume" logo imo and you need some strong colours for the headings to create a presence. The colours would also properly separate the top part of the screen from the bottom. Take a look at the competition sites and see how they compare. Aside from that looks like you've done a lot of ground work with all the content. Presume it's an off-the-shelf portal type thing, but I know it takes tons of effort to fill in all the data and pictures and links.
Thanks for the review.

I will have a crack at creating a logo as this will definitely work well design wise.

I could build in a top search for the home page which will help fill in the empty top section. On the shops themselves the search is already there - along with a hidden advanced search. I don't really want to make the site appear heavy but a light colour above the menu could work well - maybe a light green.

This particular site is made up of nearly 30 installations of a shopping comparison script that I have heavily customised over a few years. How the shops are populated is by an automated process that downloads datafeeds from a supplier. All the information found in the shops is updated once a week using this process. I have a very powerful server handing everything behind the scenes. The database update handles millions of products covering every shopping category hence this one site is just one of many I run as it only covers gardening related products. Once these shops are set up they run on auto-pilot.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK

31-01-2016, 01:11 PM

Added a top search on the index along with a background header. Also carried out a lot of work on the offers and shops.

http://gardens4ume.club/
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2016, 01:28 PM

Still think it looks a little bland. I know it's only the home page and when we get to the 'serious stuff' it all looks great, but the images on the home page are so small.

Maybe a very pale border either side would work ? a thick border fading into white ? dunno
It looks a bit stark
Questor
Kent, UK
Questor is female  Questor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2016, 01:59 PM

Looks good, I like the green grass across the top. I find the Shopping Sections on the front page a bit small and without borders they run into each other. If clicking on a thumbnail, the next page is more user friendly with larger pics and a border round them. If you were to put a pale background to the page, maybe the product choices would stand out more as their's would be white? Incidentally, only the icon is clickable, most sites I've been on have the description clickable as well, but that may not be possible on your set up.

Good going, well done!
DragonsRealm
Montgomery,Alabama
DragonsRealm is male  DragonsRealm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2016, 02:15 PM

I like it MKJ simple easy to use.Not cluttered.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top