Join for free
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2017, 05:44 AM

Not Sleeping

Hi

I find this an issue at the moment.

My time clock is here in the UK.

My son is in Taiwan, a huge time difference to speak to him and the Medics.

I lose a lot of the day to do what I need to do.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2017, 06:32 AM

Re: Not Sleeping

You are a good dad, swimfeeders, because I know you are having a time of it with your own health right now. I remember those sleepless nights...

What's the latest on your son? I do hope he is making solid progress. Slow and steady wins the race when it comes to neurological conditions. He continues to be in my thoughts.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2017, 08:01 AM

Oh dear you must be feeling awful.

Do you do this every night swimfeeders?
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2017, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I find this an issue at the moment.

My time clock is here in the UK.

My son is in Taiwan, a huge time difference to speak to him and the Medics.

Swim I am a bit confused

Taiwan is about 8 hours ahead of the UK so why are you awake through the night trying to talk to your son?
If your son isn't well enough to make his own decisions, then I understand that you may need to get info from his medics, but surely this info doesn't change on a daily basis?

If Guy is unable to work, perhaps he could be available to chat in the morning, UK time, which would be afternoon in Taiwan. If he is able to work you could chat to him a bit later... so why do you need to be awake through the night?

I know he is ill and you are worried about him, but I really don't think you are helping either of you by not getting enough sleep. We all need at least 6 hours sleep a night, and 4 of those hours must be continuous to allow body cell renewal, so why not speak to your doctor if it is stress that is keeping you awake.
The last thing your son needs to hear is that you are seriously ill ( or dead) so make you priority to look after yourself, so you can then get better and visit your son in the spring!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2017, 09:03 AM

Swimmy, How do you manage to do the airport run and ferry your Polish friends around scrapyards, if you’ve had no sleep?
I’d be frightened of falling asleep at the wheel!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2017, 09:43 AM

Hi
Hi Swim I would just do the essentials at the moment and sleep when your can whatever the time.
Your own body has its own own injuries and needs time to heal so don't try pushing it too far or you will be no help to your son.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2017, 09:50 AM

Having had a sleep problem myself recently I feel very sorry for you. I got some good advice from the nurse at the surgery about making a routine that I stick rigidly to, the warm drink before bed, quiet classical music to drift off to, that helps with the bad dreams I find, no screens before bed etc. Just get back into the habit. I understand your problem it's much like a split shift you need to develop so you get your sleep in two chunks, keep the same times and same rituals and you should get a good 8 hours in two portions.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2017, 09:54 AM

Hi

I talk to the Medics in Taiwan at 3 in the morning, he has to attend every morning, his flat is directly opposite the Hospital.

It is 11 in the morning their time.

There is one fluent English speaker there, so that is the time I have to talk to her.

He is his father's son, ask him and all you get is, I'm fine.

Just like me in that respect, peas in a pod.

I fall asleep in cat naps, early afternoons and again evenings.

I do miss the occasional day with him, but only when I need to take the very strong painkiller, which knocks me out for the count.

My job was such that I am used to being on call and working very long hours when the need arose.

I trust my body, when I need to sleep I do.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2017, 10:49 AM

Hi

I talk to the Medics in Taiwan at 3 in the morning, he has to attend every morning, his flat is directly opposite the Hospital.

It is 11 in the morning their time.

There is one fluent English speaker there, so that is the time I have to talk to her.

He is his father's son, ask him and all you get is, I'm fine.

Just like me in that respect, peas in a pod.

I fall asleep in cat naps, early afternoons and again evenings.

I do miss the occasional day with him, but only when I need to take the very strong painkiller, which knocks me out for the count.

My job was such that I am used to being on call and working very long hours when the need arose.

I trust my body, when I need to sleep I do.
I think what we are all saying is that you need sleep... so stop trusting your body, because from comments you have made on here, it is evident that you often suffer from lack of sleep.
Try Julie's method, by going to bed at 10 pm and put your alarm on for around 2.40 am, so you can speak to the medics. That will give you four and a half hours sleep and then you can go back to sleep after the call... or after lunch.
You and Guy may be like peas in a pod, but neither of you are looking after yourselves properly! Try doing a bit less ( nothing is more important than your health), get a bit more quality sleep, and you may find it easier to deal with the stress of both Guy's and your health problems.
I may sound a bit harsh but all I am trying to do is advise somebody, that I have known for a few years, how to do a better job of caring for his son and himself.
I prefer a proactive method of dealing with situations like this.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top