Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2018, 02:27 PM

Have You Ever Sold Scrap Gold?

I have had a broken 9ct gold necklace hanging about in a drawer for a while, so the other week l thought l would take it to one of these gold buyers l saw advertised.

Now l don’t know which is the most embarrassing? Entering a sex shop or entering a cash adjuster shop but l don’t think there’s a lot in it when your ‘street cred’ is in question!

I imagined the inside of the shop to be full of pawned goods on sale but all I found was a room like a small post office.
A girl in front of me was removing jewellery from her body to put a deposit on something or partial payment for money she owed them.

It was my turn, l placed my necklace on the counter and said, ‘l saw on the internet that you buy gold’.
He took it away to weigh. ‘I will give you £125 for it’. .... but an indentical necklace in a jewellers locally is selling for £700’ l stuttered.
Yes, but this is the scrap price, l’m quoting you’!
I said, l’d think about it and left.

Next, l visited a very plush, glitzy Jewellers in the town who also advertised that they bought gold.
In there were two lovebirds, with the woman drooling over diamond engagement rings. She couldn’t make up her mind so they said they would come back another time.
I wanted to say, ‘Back out while you can’!

I edged over to the counter with my bag of scrap gold and said to the jeweller, ‘l saw on the internet that you buy gold’.
He took it away to weigh. ‘I will give you £90 for it’!
‘I have been offered £125 elsewhere’!
He looked puzzled and said, ‘Yes, that’s because they will melt the gold but sell the clasp separately.

I left the shop and pondered what to do, do l take the broken necklace home and leave it in the drawer or do l go back to the cash adjuster place?

I decided, to go back and just take the £125!

What a palaver! He wanted proof of my address and l had to sign a form saying l owned the necklace!
Next he told me to look at the camera! What camera? He pointed to one on the grille of his position.

I hate my photo being taken! Do l smile or what? Click...too late, all done!

He counted out my £125 and put it in an envelope for me!
I slid out of the place, looking each way to check there was no one l knew passing by.

What did l do with the money? I gave it to one of my daughters for Christmas!!

So l ask, Have you ever sold your old gold? I dare say, these places are rip off but there you go!!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2018, 03:25 PM

Re: Have You Ever Sold Scrap Gold?

Hi

Yes, sold it to a place online to get the best price.
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2018, 03:29 PM

Yes sold the wedding ring from my second marriage. It was meaningless to me and I got virtually nothing for it anyway. The same as the second marriage really. 😀
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2018, 03:31 PM

I have never quite understood the cost difference between buying and selling jewellery. I can understand that style or fashion comes into it but why is it a new ring can cost say £1,000 but it's only worth £50 when you try to sell it?
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2018, 03:43 PM

I took in my wedding ring and had my father's signet ring built up from the gold. I have worn my father's ring since a teenager (the only thing I ever had of his) and it was wearing thin. No monies were exchanged. I also took in my mother's engagement ring, but cant remember what I got for it. I still have my engagement ring and keep thinking that I should get rid of it. It means nothing to me and of course, I never wear it.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2018, 03:46 PM

I did try to sell some old scrap gold in a shop once but when I heard how much they were offering, I said I would rather throw it down a drain. I didn't of course.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2018, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I have never quite understood the cost difference between buying and selling jewellery. I can understand that style or fashion comes into it but why is it a new ring can cost say £1,000 but it's only worth £50 when you try to sell it?
That's partly because it was never worth £1000 or even £500 to begin with.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2018, 03:52 PM

The Pawn Brokers are governed by very strict laws where pawning an item is concerned, the law is very much on the side of the client.

As for buying jewellery they offer scrap value because, unless they can find somebody that wants that specific item they could be stuck with it and actually lose money if the price of gold drops.

These younger people you see with gold dripping off them. they're quite astute really.

They buy the jewellery when they are flush and when they need some quick money they pawn a necklace buying it back at a later date....their savings are on their person.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

03-01-2018, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
That's partly because it was never worth £1000 or even £500 to begin with.
I agree.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2018, 03:56 PM

Jewellery has to be the worst investment going in terms of how much you can get back for it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top