Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2018, 06:54 AM

Spoon carving

Since I've retired I've started a new hobby, knife making
I made one for a friend, and he was pleased with it, and said his wife & daughters were politely interested, but no more

He is removing an old lilac tree soon, and will let me have the wood for knife handles, and I thought I would make some of it into spoons for his wife & daughters

I've never done this, but have watched umpteen videos and I'm sure I can manage something
I've also enquired about day courses

You need a special curved knife called a hook knife, or crook knife to carve the bowls, I'll order that soon
Then I'll practice on some fairly ordinary wood like sycamore before I start on the precious lilac wood
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2018, 06:57 AM

Re: Spoon carving

Good luck with that! Is there any chance you could show us the finished product?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2018, 07:04 AM

Good luck with that, Zuludog. I understand it is quite a tradition (or used to be) in Wales.

https://www.welsh-lovespoons.co.uk/
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2018, 07:34 AM

Yes, I've known about Welsh spoons for ages, but I don't want to do anything as ornate as that
Nether do I want to make the quite fine & delicate eating spoons; just something fairly plain & straightforward for cooking

Most spoons are carved down from a lage-ish billet of timber or a thick log, but lilac is not exactly a huge, substantial tree and the wood is relatively small in diameter
This means adapting to, and using the natural curves & contours of the branches
The result is that lilac wood spoons are often a bit lop sided and the bowls are not very deep
However it has an attractive grain pattern

If you're interested search Google for 'lilac wood spoons'; if you just enter 'lilac spoons' you'll get coloured plastic
Or search YouTube for 'spoon carving'

Of course, all this is for the future, but like I said, I'm sure I'll manage something
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2018, 08:33 AM

Just had a look, Zuludog, they are very beautiful. I love the grain patterns.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2018, 08:45 AM

That sounds interesting Zuludog, I’ve just had a look at lilac wood and the grain patterns are lovely.

When you do get around to making them, I would love to see the fininshed spoons.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2018, 09:36 AM

Sounds like a lovely hobby.
I'd love to see one you've made.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2018, 10:21 AM

Do you need to mature the wood before carving ? Good luck with your new interest.
zuludog
N E Lancashire

15-07-2018, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Do you need to mature the wood before carving ? Good luck with your new interest.
You can use freshly cut, aka green, wood or seasoned
But green wood is softer and therefore easier to carve

However, I must point out that all I know so far has been from YouTube, I haven't actually done any carving yet
There are lots of videos, but the best I've seen have been by Ben Orford and 'Spoon Carving With Tom'

Like any craft or hobby the people who have been doing it for years make it look so easy, but I'm sure the reality will be different
That's why I'd like to go on a course for a day, and practice on ordinary wood first.

An attraction for most men is that you get some new toys and sharp knives to play with!
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2018, 10:56 AM

A few weeks whilst on a bus I and everyone else watched absolutely fascinated whilst a man sat quietly carving a wooden spoon. He looked so at peace with himself.

He apparently does this everyday on the way to his shop where he then sells them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top