Join for free
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2018, 10:57 AM

Re: We are doomed I tell you - doomed!

Originally Posted by May ->
...I'm with You Kiddo..sod the doom & gloom merchants ..
ps..We've had showers here almost every day for a week now
Oh! RAIN showers!
I thought you were giving us a personal hygiene update there for a mo May!!!
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2018, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
Oh! RAIN showers!
Heh heh...I never get Personal about My ablutions...the very idea!
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2018, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
What a load of old scaremongering bullocks..........
There have been people forecasting the end of the world ever since there have been people....Too many books, films and people with overactive imaginations are to blame....
If there was no 24 hour news (like in our younger days when we had hot summers) You would just shrug it off as a good summer in a progression of bad ones and go about your business....

The climate may or may not be changing, it probably is, just like it always has, and there is absolutely nothing us mere humans can do about it........Obviously, if you're living the life of Riley, you feel guilty that you are one of the chosen ones and it must be your fault why this is happening....Well don't worry, we'll all be long gone before the apocalypse happens....
Sorry you feel like that OGF. We cannot argue with nature.
Crikey, with a few weeks of hot weather and our own country is in a panic because there may not be enough to feed the cattle on this winter. How do you think some of these other places will manage.

No one is forecasting the end of the world OGF, but these are simply facts a) that will contribute to the world resources being depleted, b) increase disease and starvation , c) increase flooding and so much more, all due to natural changes on our planet. Many contributed to, by mans inability to see further than the end of their privileged lives.
One example,the Euphrates distributes water to 5 countries.
Here is the Yamuna River and when the people who live on the banks have no water, they move to new places and increase a drain on other facilities.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2018, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
Sorry you feel like that OGF. We cannot argue with nature.
Crikey, with a few weeks of hot weather and our own country is in a panic because there may not be enough to feed the cattle on this winter. How do you think some of these other places will manage.

No one is forecasting the end of the world OGF, but these are simply facts a) that will contribute to the world resources being depleted, b) increase disease and starvation , c) increase flooding and so much more, all due to natural changes on our planet. Many contributed to, by mans inability to see further than the end of their privileged lives.
Exactly .....
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2018, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
Oh! RAIN showers!

Haha, I thought exactly the same Rhian.

Fear not folks, this is supposed to be the last hot day and then cooler and rain for most areas after tonight. Yipeee.

I do feel for all life forms that have already suffered and died because of this prolonged heat and the wildfires though.
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2018, 12:09 PM

Ok,so what can We ordinary Folks do about it?..serious question..Personally I've never driven a car in My Life/never smoked/don't do BBQs/or light bonfires/am an avid recycler/careful about gas electric use.etc' etc'...so what do others do to help the situation or has none of this anything to do with it?
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2018, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
The problem is that these scientists are forever getting it wrong and crying wolf, weren't we supposed to be heading for a new ice age after a few cool winters in the sixties, but now after a couple of warm summers the apocolypse is upon us...

I must say though that wiping out the entire human race would probably be the best thing that could happen to Mother Earth to allow her to recover from us parasites for a couple of million years or so, for parasites is all that we are really.
yeah, the creation of humans was a bad idea
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2018, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by May ->
Ok,so what can We ordinary Folks do about it?..serious question..Personally I've never driven a car in My Life/never smoked/don't do BBQs/or light bonfires/am an avid recycler/careful about gas electric use.etc' etc'...so what do others do to help the situation or has none of this anything to do with it?
Same here May, although I drive and have earnt a living out of it in the past, I carefully recycle all my waste, but we are now being told that only 50% of plastic is recycled. Sure, we build wind farms and install solar panels so we don't burn fossil fuel anymore, but air traffic almost doubles every year. So we just burn fossil fuel differently now.

I'm not going to sit in a corner holding my head and wondering why the river Euphrates has dried up. There are places in the world that are becoming inhabitable.......As well as some uninhabitable places becoming habitable. Perhaps it's natures way of keeping humans from overpopulation.

So what do you suppose we can do about it Puddle Duck?
The problem as I see it is that people just don't realise how big the world is, and we have minimal effect on it's evolution. Perhaps locally, but certainly not globally. Earthquakes and volcanoes are unfortunately out of our control. The biggest recorded explosion ever recorded was when Krakatoa lost the last few thousand feet of it's summit.

It put so much ash into the atmosphere that days turned into night even in London.....It pumped out more CO2 than man has produced since the beginning of time.....And mother nature sorted it out......Now tell me that we have brought armageddon down on our heads....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2018, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
The problem is that these scientists are forever getting it wrong and crying wolf, weren't we supposed to be heading for a new ice age after a few cool winters in the sixties, but now after a couple of warm summers the apocolypse is upon us...

I must say though that wiping out the entire human race would probably be the best thing that could happen to Mother Earth to allow her to recover from us parasites for a couple of million years or so, for parasites is all that we are really.

And have you ever thought that the media/establishment might have an ulterior motive for brainwashing us all in this way.....other than selling newspapers that is....
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2018, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
Oh heck, the one we ordered is 130 quid, it's a one concept is that the one you have summer. ?
Evaporative coolers are extremely inefficient when humidity is above 50%. They work best when humidity is 30 or below.
Also, these use a cheap matrix for the water to flow down, which adds to the inefficiency.
You are better off with a cheap portable dx a/c.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top