Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2018, 07:28 AM

Re: Respect.

Originally Posted by JBR ->

A bit of a generalisation, though, I think.
Guilty as charged, Sir!
Perhaps I did not express myself very clearly. When I was a child anyone in the professions I listed was automatically respected - today they are not because so many have been proved to have feet of clay.

I'd say that many policepersons, doctors, nurses and teachers are still worthy of our respect.
Individuals - certainly. Their professions - not any more.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2018, 08:25 AM

I only respect people who deserve respect.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2018, 08:31 AM

As a child I remember being in awe or afraid of certain people ie policemen, doctors, teachers so I don't think that was a respect thing

As a teenager I remember learning about respect from people I met that had an impact on me either by their words of encouragement or actions to inspire me with what I may have been trying to achive at that time in my life.

Today I view people as simply people doing either a good or bad job so perhaps its harder to find people to respect these days or we get more choosy on whom we bestow the word respect
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2018, 08:36 AM

I have never been in awe of anyone.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2018, 09:12 AM

Personally I have lost respect for the word itself. 'Respect' has been hijacked by certain people in society and translates as 'fear me' rather 'respect me'. Nothing to do with respect at all.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2018, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Personally I have lost respect for the word itself. 'Respect' has been hijacked by certain people in society and translates as 'fear me' rather 'respect me'. Nothing to do with respect at all.
Interesting point there, Dongles.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2018, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Interesting point there, Dongles.
Thank you Tabs.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2018, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Guilty as charged, Sir!
Perhaps I did not express myself very clearly. When I was a child anyone in the professions I listed was automatically respected - today they are not because so many have been proved to have feet of clay.

I'd say that many policepersons, doctors, nurses and teachers are still worthy of our respect.

Individuals - certainly. Their professions - not any more.
No-one seems to have noticed that I didn't include politicians!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

07-09-2018, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
No-one seems to have noticed that I didn't include politicians!
I did - but didn't think them worthy of mention.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

07-09-2018, 01:45 PM

Blimey, we even respected News reporters years ago but look at them now, a bunch of scruffy fast-tracked morons with weird accents.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top