Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
toners
Cheshire
toners is male  toners has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2018, 04:45 PM

Re: are you happy with your photography?

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Seldom get horizons straight and can't work out how to get my camera to take darker photos, they seem to come out light, which is why I don't put many in the competition now.
Photoscape is free software and is useful to tinker with a photo if you are not quite happy with it. Cropping, changing brightness, sharpening etc. It can be useful to prepare a photo to post online ie make the file size smaller.
It can be used simply or with more complex changes.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2018, 04:48 PM

No I don't either dOOd but have to edit loads!
I usually have to tweak the exposure too, cheap bridge camera but has given me lots of pleasure!
I think editing is fun, sometimes you spot bits of a shot you didn't know were there!
Editing is generally more fun than taking the photo. I'm the experimental type liking to bend the golden rules of composition, sometimes taking dozens of shots of the same subject, then load my chosen few onto my pc. As you say, you spot things you didn't know were there and crop the image accordingly.

White Balance in important, and I've got different WB setting on camera but nearly always shoot in auto WB and fix if necessary later.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2018, 04:49 PM

Thanks Toner, I've been using the photo editor on my laptop Windows Live Gallery I think it is but not much you can do on it.
Tried Photoshop, might as well have been in Martian!
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2018, 04:50 PM

I have no idea about white balance dOOd, I just point and shoot, unless it's macro, then I just twiddle the dial and point and shoot
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2018, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
Two great images there Besoeker

The subject stands out from the background nicely in both. easily achieved with a small subject like a spider, but not so easy with a portrait.
Thank you kindly.
It helps if you have a good poser....who looks you right in the eye!

Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2018, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
For me the answer is no, I can always see afterwards what I should have spotted before or when taking a photo.

subjects out of bounds for me are portraits and people , Don't think I have the necessary skills or equipment to dive into that type of photography.

Maybe others on here have the same restrictions they put on themselves, it would be interesting to know.

One thing that makes me smile is when people same "wow that is an expensive camera you have or something like"

I have a stock answer, it is not the camera that get the photo it is the person behind it that does. I have seen photos I would have been proud of taken on a cheapy camera

So should you be really happy with the photos you take or do you think you could have done better ????
I would love to do better, Realspeed, and am quite envious when you, Nom, and others put up your stunning photos. To that end I joined a camera club at the local school - but they were so unwelcoming and so far up their own shutters that I left after a couple of weeks.
FridgeMagnet
Loch Lomond & Trossachs National Park
FridgeMagnet is male  FridgeMagnet has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2018, 05:37 PM

Here's a little fun I had with Photoshop! A very useful tool if there's something in your picture that you wish wasn't!

realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2018, 06:00 PM

Seldom get horizons straight and can't work out how to get my camera to take darker photos, they seem to come out light, which is why I don't put many in the competition now.
help on below

https://www.over50sforum.com/showthread.php?t=55835
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2018, 07:21 PM

camera clubs and qualifications may suit some but not me for the following reasons

Never been to a camera club but talked to many that have and the general impression get is "my picture is better than yours". As for getting help in understanding photography and all its forms just doesn't happen .
By that I mean setting up for studio portraits re lighting -subject positioning -props just as one subject let alone wild life -still life- buildings- street photography - press photography demands etc etc and that is not including which equipment is best, or talks from people invited in to chat about their work, not much help.

Qualifications

They don't make a good photographer, results do ,there are many who take far better photos than those with letters after their name. You can teach a monkey to do tricks but can they perform on their own.
Why even bother to copy the same as others before you have been taught?
take all your great painters in the past, they developed their own style and recognised for it. What about those that tried to copy them?never heard of

Personally self taught is the way to go and learn by ones own mistakes. Yes it might be harder to get employment but many have their own businesses anyway.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

09-09-2018, 07:43 PM

zoom or fixed lens for a camera.

Well what a difference in how a camera is used a I found out on my Hastings trip.
I only took a 50 mm fixed (prime) lens against one of my zoom lenses to see how i got one with it.

First thing that hit me was not being able to stand in on spot and bring things closer or further away, it meant moving my feet, something I was not used to . This particular lens is an F1.4 lens which means it lets in moore light that my zooms which are f2.8. trying to get used to this was a nightmare with the camera in manual mode which I usually use.

yes I made some bad mistakes

oh yes I can cock things up as well

But this is all part of a learning curve. ok this can be corrected in PP but shows I am nowhere near perfect with my shots.
Supposed it is down to more practise and care, this was he worst i took thankfully. I much prefer my 24-70mm f2.8 nikon lens.

we all can criticise others photos, that is easy, but recognising ones own takes more to admit where one goes wrong

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top