Join for free
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 > Last »
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2018, 08:41 AM

Old Grey Fox in the Hot seat.

Welcome to the hot seat OGF.

Good luck.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2018, 08:42 AM

Re: Old Grey Fox in the Hot seat.

My first question is: What was your first job when you left school?
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2018, 09:16 AM

Hi OGF have you done any walking in Northmberland.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2018, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by carol ->
My first question is: What was your first job when you left school?
This seat does feel very comfy Carol....I could get used to this....

I always wanted to be an Electrician and had an interview with the YEB (Yorkshire Electricity Board) it seemed to go well, but after not hearing anything for several weeks, My Dad said I must have a job when I leave school, so I ended up as an apprentice mechanical engineer in a small engineering factory.....I heard later that I had indeed secured a job with the YEB, but decided to stay at the engineering factory because I loved the work. Jobs were easily come by in those days, and you could more or less pick and choose the career you wanted. Nobody I knew went to university, and all your training was either 'Hands on' or day release to college. I can still remember all the good advice and training I was given by the old skilled blokes, things you didn't get taught in college. Invaluable!
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2018, 10:48 AM

Hello OGF,

How many cars have you owned in your lifetime and which one was your favourite?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2018, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Hi OGF have you done any walking in Northmberland.
Hello Nom, unfortunately not as such. However, Mrs Fox and me spent a weeks holiday in Bamburgh visiting and sightseeing. We did some long walks down the beautiful beach there, and drove across to Holy Island. Each morning I would run down to the lovely little fishing port at Seahouses and back. Mrs Fox fell in the love with the place, and we've promised to return. I always fancied doing the 'Pennine Way' which finishes in Coldstream and takes in some of the finest scenery of Northumberland, but at 250 miles long I may have left it too late...
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2018, 11:09 AM

Hi OldGreyFox,...I know you keep yourself fit,..how far have you run?..have you always been into fitness?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

21-09-2018, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by wild blueberry ->
Hello OGF,

How many cars have you owned in your lifetime and which one was your favourite?
Good morning Wild Blueberry, and thanks for looking in.....

It's a good question is that WB, I reckon about eleven vehicles in all, I started off with three Mini's and used to drive like an idiot, but it's where I learned to take engines out and restore the bodywork due to the endless rusting. Happily bodywork lasts a lot longer these days, and I haven't got a clue what's under the bonnet (hood) of modern cars.

They have all earned special memories, the Mini's where I did all my courting....and eventually met Mrs Fox. It was all about speed in those days (on both counts) and comfort came second. But these days it's more about comfort and reliabilty (again on both counts..) Strangely though, I bought a van in 2001 and became a self employed courier, and it was the most comfortable vehicle I have ever owned.

Whether it's because I spent so much time in it driving around the country, and I got so attached to it, I would have to say it was my favourite out of all my motors. We did 300,000 miles together and it never let me down. We also made a lot of money together, but I took the lions share..... I was sad to see it go after all of our adventures. I went on to buy a brand new identical van, the very first new vehicle I had ever owned, and although it was just as comfortable and reliable, the first van was my favourite....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

21-09-2018, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
Hi OldGreyFox,...I know you keep yourself fit,..how far have you run?..have you always been into fitness?
Morning Pauline....

You wouldn't believe that my Mum used to write me notes to avoid running the cross countries at school! Being the smallest in the class I hated it....
Me and the fat lad were always the last to be picked for the football teams... It wasn't until I was twenty seven that I took my first tentative steps as a runner following a hangover. I loved the buzz...

A year earlier I had started doing some long walks on the moors with some workmates and I found that running every other day really helped with my stamina. It wasn't long before I stopped walking and started fell running on a regular basis taking in some forty and fifty mile runs across the wild places of England.

The longest of these runs was the 'Cleveland Way' 110 miles over two days for charity. Two friends joined me and we ran 60 miles on the first day and 50 miles on the second day. Every run since 1980 has been entered in my journal with a distance and a time, and as of 2017 my total is 36,549 miles.....And in July this year it was my fortieth year as a runner.....

To be honest Pauline, fitness has never been my goal, it was just a side effect of running. I've always loved running and the solitude that long distance running gives, a little bit of 'Me' time to take stock of your life and sort out your problems. You could say I'm an addict.
And then there's the beauty that Mother nature provides in all of her splendour. She can be a challenging task master sometimes, but it all adds to the satisfaction and accomplishment as you close the door behind you and rejoin your family and society....
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2018, 12:21 PM

What a fabulous reply to my question OGF, I enjoyed reading that. You are going to be "great" in this hot seat, I will be checking in on you every day...I feel I know you already,

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top